[Css-csts] A few more comments on the Framework

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Tue Aug 18 04:50:07 EDT 2009

Dear John,
Thanks for your comments.
Please find below the answers to each of them.

   Section 3.9.2 heading should be just INVOCATION AND PARAMETERS for
   TRANSFER-DATA.
   >>YD: Corrected.

   Section 3.11.2 heading should be just INVOCATION AND PARAMETERS for
   NOTIFY.
   >>YD: Corrected.

   D1.12, “nextension” should be “extension”.
   >>YD: Corrected

   In D2.5, “startDiagnosticnExt” should be “startDiagnosticsExt” in the
   assignment of the OID for startDiagnosticsExt.
   NOTE ? for the other operation extensions, the names are of the form
   “…DiagnosticExt”, that is, there is no “s” between “Diagnostic” and “Ext”.
   Perhaps the same should apply to the START operation.
   >>YD: Corrected to startDiagnosticExt

   In section 4.5.3.1.1, the sentence should read “Table 4?9 shows the [use
   of the ?] extension parameters of the START operation defined by this
   procedure.” (see below for comment on “use of the”.
   >>YD: Corrected

   Inconsistent title for sections that specify extensions of
   notification-type. The variations are “Extension notification-types
   values”, “Extension notification-type”, and “Notification-type extension”.
   What should it be?
   >>YD: I changed it to "Extension notification-type".

   The various specifications of extension parameters for operations use the
   phrasing “Table XXX shows the use of the extension parameters of the YYY
   operation defined by this procedure.” I think “use of the” was okay when
   we had the extension-parameters as an explicit parameter in the tables,
   but since we’ve decided that the extension mechanism is an artifact of
   ASN.1, I think these sentences should be of the form “Table XXX shows the
   extension parameters of the YYY operation defined by this procedure.”
   >>YD: Changed as proposed.

   In the ASN.1, dpStartInvocExt, dpProcessDataNegReturnExt,
   dpNotifyInvocNotifTypeExt, dpNotifyInvocExt, and
   dpExecDirInvocDirectiveIdExt, all have the same OID:
   {dpExtProcedureParam 1}.
   >>YD: Changed as follows:
   dpStartInvocExt                  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   {dpExtProcedureParam 1}
   dpProcessDataNegReturnExt  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {dpExtProcedureParam 2}
   dpNotifyInvocNotifTypeExt  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {dpExtProcedureParam 3}
   dpNotifyInvocExt                 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   {dpExtProcedureParam 4}
   dpExecDirInvocDirectiveIdExt     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   {dpExtProcedureParam 5}
   The values are now aligned with the OID tree at the end of the document.

   The names of some of the extension object types are very similar to the
   names of their associated object identifiers (e.g., StartDiagnosticsExt
   for the object type name, startDiagnosticsExt for the associated OID
   name), whereas others have greater differences (e.g.,
   ExecDirectiveINegReturnDiagnosticsExt for the object type name, vs.
   teExecDirDiagnosticsExt for the associated OID name). These name pairs are
   recognizable by humans as referring to the same thing, especially because
   the OID appears right after the object specification in the ASN.1.
   However, it might be much more difficult to make the connection if they
   weren’t listed one after the other. Is there any reason not to use the
   same name for both, differing only in the first letter (upper case for
   object type name, lower case for OID name)?
   >>YD: Here is the list of types and associated OID:
   AssocBindPosReturnExt                              acBindPosReturnExt
   AssocBindNegResultDiagnosticExt                    acBindDiagnosticExt
   ExecDirectiveNegAckDiagnosticEx  t                 execDirAckDiagnosticExt
   ExecDirectiveNegReturnDiagnosticExt
   execDirReturnDiagnosticExt
   GetPosReturnExt                                    getPosReturnExt
   GetDiagnosticExt                                   getDiagnosticExt
   ProcessDataPosReturnExt                            procDataPosReturnExt
   ProcessDataDiagnosticExt                           procDataDiagnosticExt
   ProcessDataNegReturnExt                            procDataNegReturnExt
   StartDiagnosticsExt                                startDiagnosticExt
   BuffDataDelStartPosInvocExt                        bddStartInvocExt
   BuffDataDelStartDiagnosticsExt                     bddStartDiagExt
   BuffDataDelNotificationInvocTypeExt                bddNotifInvocTypeExt
   CyclicReportStartInvocExt                          crStartInvocExt
   CyclicReportDiagnosticsExt                   crNegStartReturnExt
   CyclicReportTransferDataExt
   crTransferDataInvocDataExt
   ExecuteDirectiveNegReturnDiagnosticsExt
   teExecDirDiagnosticsExt
   DataProcessingStartInvocExt                        dpStartInvocExt
   DataProcessingProcessDataNegReturnExt
   dpProcessDataNegReturnExt
   DataProcessingNotifyInvocNotificationTypeExt
   dpNotifyInvocNotifTypeExt
   DataProcessingNotifyInvocExt                       dpNotifyInvocExt
   DataProcessingExecDirectiveInvocationDirectiveIdExt
   dpExecDirInvocDirectiveIdExt
   NotificationStartInvocExt                          nStartInvocExt
   NotificationNegStartReturnExt                      nNegStartReturnExt
   NotificationTypeExt                          nTypeExt
   Looking at all cases you will note that the OID names are very much
   shortened compared to the names of the corresponding types.
   In case of operations, the operation names abbreviation is considered (not
   in a systematic way, I agree)
   In case of procedures, the names always starts with the first letters of
   the procedure.
   The main reason to shorten the name is that I wanted them to fit in the
   tree at the end of the document.
   In case you feel it's a problem please let me know a more acceptable
   scheme and I will adapt the tree if necessary.
   .
   The NotificationTypes type concludes with the notificationExtension. Some
   of the notification-type extension objects also conclude with
   notificationExtension, but some conclude with extensionNotification. These
   should all be notificationExtension, or perhaps even
   notificationTypeExtension.
   >>YD: I could not find the identifier  extensionNotification.  I changed
   all identifiers to notificationTypeExtension.

Best regards
Yves