[Css-csts] topics for discussion in telecon

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Tue Aug 11 03:54:17 EDT 2009

Dear Tim,

Please find below some answers to your questions:

Where does our spec say that a Start is not allowed while Unbound?  (I don’t
see it in section 3.7 on the Start operation)
In the section "Binding", the requirement 4.3.3.1.2.1 states "Except as
provided in 4.3.3.1.2.3, the Service User shall not invoke any further
operations for this service instance until the return from the Service
Provider is received".
This requirement is supposed to cover that case as we did not want to repeat
for each Operation/Procedure a common behaviour.

Where does our spec say that the Transport Mapping Layer is used underneath
the Framework?  i.e. that a connection has to be established as part of a
Bind?  (I don’t see it in section 4.3 on “Association Control”).
The section 2.6.3 states "... The mapping of CSTS PDUs to an underlying
communications service is intentionally outside the scope of this Recommended
Standard.  In order to achieve interoperability, the Service User and Service
Provider must conform not only to the service specification based on this
Recommended Standard but also to an agreed upon specification of the mapping
of the service to the underlying communications service ...".
The document includes a reference to ISP.

Where does our spec say how to insert data into an Extended structure?
Annex D specifies:
D1.9 The extension capability may or may not be used using the Extended
parameter. If not used the Extended parameter shall carry a NULL value.
D1.10 Extension is defined by means of “EMBEDDED PDV”. The ASN.1 EMBEDDED PDV
type is a useful type used to include non-ASN.1 or other data within an ASN.1
encoded message. This type is described using the following ASN.1 SEQUENCE:
      EMBEDDED PDV ::= [UNIVERSAL 11] SEQUENCE
      {     identification CHOICE
            {     syntaxes SEQUENCE
                  {     abstract OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
                        transfer OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                  },
                  syntax                  OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
                  presentation-context-id       INTEGER,
                  context-negotiation     SEQUENCE
                        {     presentation-context-id       INTEGER,
                              transfer-syntax         OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                        },
                  transfer-syntax   OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
                  fixed             NULL
            },
            data-value OCTET STRING
      }

D1.12  The  nextension  shall make use of the “transfer-syntax” definition in
the   “identification”   CHOICE.   The   “transfer-syntax”   is  assigned  an
object-identifier (see C4.7) unique for all extensions that clearly indicates
that  all  external  syntaxes  carried by this definition belong to the Cross
Support Services

D1.13The  transfer  syntax  used  for the extension (see D1.11) shall be  the
transfer-syntaxes defined in C4.7.

Is anything in chapter 2 normative?
The chapter 2 ias descriptive only. Is there any requirement that should be
moved to section 3 or 4?

In section 4.2.1, do any of the subsections apply to the User side?  If so,
which ones?  (I realize that most of them do apply to both User and Provider,
but a new person might be confused ).   Can we be more clear?  For example,
4.2.1.3 gives the impression that this section applies to the Provider, but I
think our intention is that the whole section applies to both User and
Provider unless otherwise specified.
As for SLE the Recommendation is written toward the behaviour of the provider
and explain what the provider shall do depending on the user received
interactions. Every time a requirement refers to the reception of an
operation, it implies the operation is sent by the user. This approach worked
fine for the SLE Recommendations.
Would a statement such as "On reception of an UNBIND invocation from the
User, the Association Control procedure shall issue a ‘terminate’ event to
all procedure instances of the service instance" add clarity?

Best regards
Yves

             "Ray, Timothy J.
             (GSFC-5830)"
             <timothy.j.ray at nas                                           To
             a.gov>                     "css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org"
             Sent by:                   <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] topics for discussion in
             11/08/2009 00:20           telecon

Dear Working Group,

General comment:  I could develop a User implementation based on the
knowledge gained from attending our meetings.  But that would not be a good
test of our specification.      Instead, I am trying to stick to the
specification as my only guide.
Here are some questions for discussion in tomorrow’s telecom:

[...]
Best regards,
Tim