[Css-csts] Mixed Participants in TDMs

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Jun 11 16:42:29 EDT 2008

Tim,
You may be right in that it shouldn't matter. But I've run into a number
possible users who have seriously objected to repeating the metadata for
every sample of tracking data, because the metadata can be multiple
times the volume of the tracking data. I'm sure that some of the
objection is just philosophical, but some of these folks work on very
crowded networks any unnecessary overhead is a big negative. Beyond
that, lots of periodic metadata is not idea for our chosen real-time
approach, because the Buffered Data Delivery procedure won't discard the
metadata if the network becomes congested - it will just keep trying to
send it. This is the desired behavior when the metadata is sparse and
one-of-a-kind, but less optimal when it is repeated every N seconds.

But your point is well taken - we should try to determine an acceptable
range of data rates, and if a straightforward transfer of TDMs fits in
that range, don't get any fancier.

It would be an interesting exercise to try to model the steady-state
bandwidth utilization of a Buffered Data Delivery procedure instance for
a variety of Tracking Data scenarios (i.e., different combinations of
metadata-bearing NOTIFY invocations and tracking-data-bearing
TRANSFER-DATA invocations at different periodicities. The ASCII
"payloads" are simple to determine - what's trickier is the size of the
base NotifyInvocations and TransferDataInvocations as they appear on the
wire. A few years ago, I was able to estimate the size of serializations
of RAF and FCLTU PDUs, but that skill has become rusty. But maybe
there's some low level of effort way to get some estimate.

John

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive