[Css-csts] FW: Ambiguous specification of CLTU transfer buffer behavior

Boxell, Jeff jeff.boxell at lmco.com
Mon Jun 2 11:07:15 EDT 2008

Thanks John,

It hasn't caused us any operational problems because we spotted the
difference in the implementations early on and we had Vendor A change
their implementation to match vendor B.  Our CLTU buffer monitoring is
tuned to reduce latency at the ground site yet provided sufficient
buffering to overcome jitter in the WAN between the user and provider.
When we first started running with vendor A's provider, we noted that
its buffer level consistently ran 1 CLTU lower than vendor B's
implementation. That is the operational impact one would see.  The
impact of this difference is dependent on how finely tuned one's buffer
monitoring algorithm is. Since we have to maintain continuous output
with no underflows and still meet a fairly strict latency requirement,
we are likely more sensitive to a 1 CLTU difference than most
(particularly when we run at our 18K low-rate setting where only 1 or 2
CLTUs is ever being buffering).

At a minimum, I would hope that a paragraph could be added alerting SLE
readers of potentials differences in the CLTU buffer reporting
implementation.