[Css-csts] FW: Ambiguous specification of CLTU transfer buffer behavior

Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int
Mon Jun 2 03:42:56 EDT 2008

John,

Firstly you are correct that the F-CLTU specification does not prescribe any
specific implementation of the interface between the CLTU buffer and the
modulator. In practice, in particular if also higher command rates shall be
reported, I would assume that most implementations will feature a double
buffer as to make sure that radiation of consecutive CLTUs can be contiguous
without idle sequence in between except where that is imposed by the
delay-time specified by the service user.

The real-world implementations that I have seen so far all provided ample
buffering so that parameter cltu-buffer-available is of hardly any interest
from an operational perspective as it won't be filled up anyway in any
realistic scenario.

Besides that I feel that the specification is not ambiguous in the sense that
the provider is supposed to report the available buffer at the point in time
when the CLTU-TRANSFER-DATA response is generated. I concede that because of
the unspecified input buffer to the modulator two different implementations
with the same buffer capacity under the same operational condition may report
different values for the available buffer capacity. I do not regard that to
be a problem.

The above is my personal view on this issue and other members of the WG may
have a different view. If so, I would appreciate to get such input as soon as
possible so that I can take that into account before sending the updated CLTU
spec to the CCSDS secretariat.

Best regards,

Wolfgang

             "John Pietras"
             <john.pietras at gst.
             com>                                                         To
             Sent by:                   <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] FW: Ambiguous
             30/05/2008 18:41           specification of CLTU transfer
                                        buffer      behavior

Members of the CSTSWG:

The following email exchange describes an ambiguity encountered in the
defined behavior of the CLTU buffer in the FCLTU specification. If you have
an interest in this issue, please comment on whether the behavior of the CLTU
buffer should be more tightly defined in the FCLTU specification.