[Css-csts] Issue with using the Buffered Data Delivery Procedure for Real-time Radiometric Data

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Feb 25 12:21:54 EST 2008

Yves,

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that some variation of
either option 2 or option 4 are the most viable.

I don't think that your proposed option 5 would work, at least not
exactly as you have stated it (below). The Header data is supposed to
occur once for every TDM, and so it should not be repeated in every
transfer buffer, because to do so would essentially turn each transfer
buffer into its own TDM, that's okay from a formal TDM definition
viewpoint, as long as it's accompanied by the Metadata (which is also
part of option 5). But repeating the Metadata in each transfer buffer
will likely outweigh the actual Data content of the transfer buffer
(NOTE that although we are using the Buffered Data Delivery Procedure
(BFFP), I think that in real-time mode it is very likely that the
latency limit will predominate - that is, tracking measurements from
successive sampling periods will not be allowed to accumulate in a large
transfer buffer.) Since I have been working from the perspective that we
are trying to minimize the redundant information carried by the service,
I think that this makes option 5 not viable.

Regarding your variation of option 2, I believe that I have been
thinking on similar lines. That is, the TRANSFER-DATA invocation is
normally used to carry all TDM Header, Metadata, and Data segment
contents. If there is a data discard situation, the NOTIFY invocation
carrying the discarded data notification would be extended to also carry
the Metadata that is in effect at the time the new segment is sent (we
could consider making this process even more "intelligent" and only
updating the Metadata if anything has changed since the last successful
transfer buffer, but for now I think the algorithm is simpler to just
update the Metadata every time a transfer buffer is discarded).

For the complete delivery mode, all TDM content is carried purely in
TRANSFER-DATA invocations, which is nice and clean.

This approach still has the derived Radiometric BDDP doing more than the
basic BDDP, but I think it's a relatively reasonable extension of the
BDDP.

I'm less happy with option 4 -  I don't that it's very fair to advertise
that the service is built on a reliable, sequence-preserving underlying
communication service, but to then give the user application two data
flows that must be re-ordered and say "here, you sort it out".

Unless anyone has serious objections, I'd like to proceed further with
option 2, as modified by this discussion, as the basis for the first
draft of the RRD-CSTS White Book. I think that it will be a valuable
exercise in helping us understand what it means to derive procedures
from existing ones, even if we ultimately decide to do something else
(like option 4). We can still discuss both options 2 and 4 in the joint
meeting with the NavWG, in case they can provide additional insight from
their perspective as potential users of the service. My guess is that,
from the user perspective of the service, option 2 would be preferable
to option 4, and that they (the NavWG members) won't care which approach
requires more or less derivation of base toolkit procedures.