[Css-csts] Toolkit Concept - Comments

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Tue Jul 31 08:59:48 EDT 2007

Dear Gert,

Please find below some comments to the "Cross Support Transfer Services -
Toolkit Concept".

   Figure 1-1 will have to be updated to reflect the (to be agreed) final
   representation.

   Section 2.2, bullet "e) High cost of maintaining existing transfer
   services ..". I disagree with that statement. The maintenance is based on
   an object oriented approach with quite a lot of resuability. I am not sure
   the future approach will be cheaper to maintain. In my opinion this
   statement should be removed as we cannot quantify it compared to other
   equivalent services.

   Section 3.3.1 start with the definition of an operation. The definition
   will have to be updated with the (to be agreed) definition.

   Section 3.3.2 Standard Unconfirmed Operation Header. Remove the
   "Return"column.

   Section 3.3.3 Standard Confirmed Operation Header. Add the missing column
   "Acknowledge" in between "Invocation" and "Return"

   Section 3.3.4.1 & 3.3.4.2. The "extension parameter" is missing

   Tables 3-5 to 3-8. Remove the 's' to "extension parameters" to be in line
   with the draft Recommendation.

   Section 3.4.1.1, Figure 3.2. The procedure states are "Ready" and
   "Active".

   Section 3.4.1.1, the procedures can be startless and startful. This
   differentiation should be mentioned.

   Figure 3-4: Service States. We have now to possible states depending on
   the procedure type startless and startful. The Service States is to be
   described in two figures depending if the prime procedure is startful or
   startless.

   Section 4.1. How to define a new service.
   The approach for the definition of a service should be discussed.
   The section list three steps required to define a new service:
   1-Identify the procedures
   2-Review the operations
   3-Review the procedure to identify the possible extension.
   In my opinion you can only extend the operations once you know the
   associated behaviour, hence the process should be:
   1-Identify the behaviour required by the new service;
   2-Identify the procedures
   3-Identify the missing behaviour and if required derive procedures
   including the extension to the operations.
   The section 4.2. should be complemented identifying what behaviour the
   service shall add to the selected procedure before identifying the
   extension of the operations

Best regards

Yves DOAT
Head Ground Infrastructure Baseband Section (OPS-GIB)
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/