[Css-csts] Fw: Charter SLE Services

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Tue May 23 05:28:51 EDT 2006

Dear Mr.Yasunori,
I apologise for not having forwarded you the email below.
Obviously your request to IOAG/CSMC triggered some reaction from NASA.
I know that the same question has been asked to ESA and I am waiting the
answer from our Flight Dynamics experts.

Considering that JAXA and NASA request the Radiometric service the CSTS
charter will still cover the Radiometric service.

I hope this clarify the matter and that your support in CCSDS will continue.

Best regards
Yves DOAT
Head Ground Infrastructure Baseband Section (OPS-GIB)
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: (49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/

----- Forwarded by Yves Doat/esoc/ESA on 23/05/2006 11:20 -----

             Charles J Ruggier
             <Charles.J.Ruggier
             @jpl.nasa.gov>                                               To
                                        Yves.Doat at esa.int
             07/04/2006 22:18                                             cc
                                        Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
                                                                     Subject
                                        Charter SLE Services

Dear Yves,

It has recently come to my attention that the CSTS Working Group is
considering replacing the SLE Real-Time Radio-Metric Data Transfer (RRMDT)
service with the Monitoring service.  I was not aware that the RRMDT
service was not receiving full support by all.  It was my understanding
that development of the RRMDT service was to take precedence over the
Monitoring service, or at least, that both services would be developed
concurrently.

Our position at JPL has always been one of commitment and total support for
the RRMDT service.  There is an identified need by JPL, JAXA, and GSFC  to
implement such a service to facilitate the exchange of navigational data in
real time.  The need for radiometric data delivery has been discussed with
interest at IOAG meetings in the past. Furthermore, enhancement of the SLE
capability with a RRMDT service is considered by the JPL Interplanetary
Network Directorate to be a top priority.

What are the near-term and future plans for developing the RRMDT service,
and what are the prospects of developing both the RRMDT and Monitoring
services concurrently?

Best Regards,

Charles Ruggier
Jet Propulsion Laboratory