[Css-csts] CSTS Toolkit White Book version 0.3

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Mon May 22 09:06:09 EDT 2006

Ref. CSTS_Toolkit-W03.doc and Working Group "Minutes of meeting
CSTS-WG-21022006".

Dear Mr.Iwana,

I looked at the document and you will find below my comments. Considering the
importance of my first comment, I did not go in details into the document and
reported in my detailed comments what I noticed when glancing through it.

1. PROCEDURES:
I note that the document does not address at all the procedures discussed in
the working-group. The action A#06-0905 requires to draft the table of
content for review by the working group. How does the document fit with that
action? Will you have time before our meeting in Rome to answer that action?
The section 4.2 of the minutes of meeting contains some information on the "4
boxes book" that should be considered.

The buffering of data is addressed in section 2.2.5 of the document. I note
that this section covers part of our behaviour agreement but as the approach
is not in line with our discussions (in particular the relation between the
data and transfer buffers, the required operations, ...). I have the same
comment vis-a-vis other procedures.
I wonder why you updated the document with this text as the working-group
agreed to distribute the work among the members, having individuals taking
care of procedures.

A new service will make use of defined procedures. That approach ensures that
a service can select the required behaviour and ignore non-required
behaviour. In this document we cannot achieve the agreed approach as the
building blocks (the procedures) are not identified. The document shall be
reworked to the approach agreed by the working-group. To that goal, we should
first agree on the Table of Content of the document.

2. MORE DETAILED COMMENTS

2.1.  SECTION  2.2.3 Blocking and Non-blocking
The description is not in line with the working-group discussion, see CCR-34
and minutes of meeting (section 2.10.3).

2.2 SECTION 2.2.4 Multiple START/STOP
While the document describes the possibility to achieve multiple invocation
of procedures by a service it does not describe any mechanism to achieve the
required behaviour.

EXTENSION PARAMETER
The document redefines the extension parameter into a more-extension
parameter (OCTET STRING with a maximum size 256). I do not think this is
necessary. The type EXTERNAL should be used.

2.3 SECTION 3.3.2 - START
The START operation proposed in your document is not in-line with the
discussion of the working-group.

2.4. SECTION 3.8 - GET
The definition seems to give an exhaustive list of possible parameters that
can be retrieve. This is not my understanding of what the GET has to achieve.
The GET shall give the possibility for a new service to retrieve whatever it
needs.

2.4 SECTION 3.9 CONTROL-DIRECTIVE
Charles is in charge of the corresponding procedure. Have you considered his
inputs?
What about the behaviour? Where is the THROW-EVENT procedure?
Why are there set-parameters (Section 3.9.2.8 and 3.9.2.9)?

2.4 ASN.1 Definition
The book defines 4 types of standard headers (2 invocations and 2 returns).
The difference is the invoke-id. The working group agreed to have all
operations (confirmed and unconfirmed) carrying the invoke-id. We should only
have two standard headers.

The notifications cannot be expanded for external definition.
The diagnostics cannot be expanded for external definition.

The common module is far too complex as it contains nearly all the type
definition.

We should not need a service specific ASN.1 definition.

Service Instance Identifier should be in a dedicated module.
ServiceIdentifier needs to be formalised. I propose an Object Identifier
definition.

Best regards
Yves DOAT
Head Ground Infrastructure Baseband Section (OPS-GIB)
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: (49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/

             Yasunori Iwana
             <iwana.yasunori at ja
             xa.jp>                                                       To
             Sent by:                   "css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org"
             css-csts-bounces at m         <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             ailman.ccsds.org                                             cc

                                                                     Subject
             10/05/2006 04:43           [Css-csts] CSTS Toolkit White Book
                                        version 0.3

Dear Colleagues,

I have uploaded the CSTS Toolkit White Book version 0.3;
file name: CSTS_Toolkit_W03,
to the CSS CSTS Home Page in CCSDS CWE
(in the folder "JAXA proposal for CSTS Toolkit").

This is corresponding to the Action Item A#06-0905
 "Toolkit 4 Boxes Book" (probably).

I renamed the book title
from "GENERIC Service Toolkit" to "CSTS Toolkit",
and introduced the concepts;
   Goetzelman's "Multiple START/STOP",
   Ruggier's "Set Parmeter" in CONTROL-DIRECTIVE,
   CSTS Interim Meeting Document "Harmonized set of operations".

Yasunori Iwana
JAXA