[Css-csts] Extending diagnostics

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Dec 13 15:51:14 EST 2006

Members of the CSTSWG:
I reading through the PROCEDURES DEFINITION FOR CROSS SUPPORT TRANSFER
SERVICES - DRAFT document that was circulated prior to the November
telecon, I have become a bit confused about how the valid values of the
diagnostic parameter are extended.

In section 4.2.2.7, which defined the base diagnostic values inherent in
the Standard Confirmed Operation Header, specific values are named
(e.g., 'duplicate Invoke-ID'), but one value is 'extension diagnostics',
with the definition "The set of diagnostics may be extended by
operations and possibly by procedures and services."

Now consider section 4.9.2.9.1, which addresses the value of the
diagnostics parameter for the PROCESS-DATA operation. Here it states "If
result is 'negative result', the common PORCESS-DATA operation uses the
diagnostics specified in 4.2.2.7, or one of the following diagnostics:",
and then follows with specific diagnostic values (e.g., 'unable to
process").

Section 4.9.2.9.1 gives the impression that these new values are simply
added onto the list of diagnostics specified in 4.2.2.7.

Is the 'extension diagnostics' value for the diagnostic parameter just a
placeholder that is always replaced by real values, or is it somehow a
"value" that can somehow "contain" other values (i.e., the extended
diagnostic values)?

I tried to look at the ASN.1 to understand this better, but the ASN.1
lobe of my brain has become rusty from lack of exercise. I hope to get
my brain  back in ASN.1 shape over the coming months, but for now a
simple explanation of how this is intended to work would be very
helpful. Thanks.

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive