[Css-csts] protocol question

Tim Ray tim.ray at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 5 14:13:10 EST 2005

Hello all,

I can't complete the User side Operation Layer state tables (due 12/15/05)
until someone answers the question below.

The basic SLE protocol (as presented in chapter 4 of the existing SLE data
transfer Blue Books) does not seem to clearly define the User's response to
certain events that may occur while an Unbind-Invocation is pending (I've
capitalized certain words to make the problem clearer):

Section 4.1.1 says to INVOKE THE PEER-ABORT OPERATION in response to an
Unexpected SLE Protocol Data Unit.

Section 4.1.2 says to INVOKE THE PEER-ABORT OPERATION in response to things
like an incoming return that is not decodable.

Section 4.1.3 says to INVOKE THE PEER-ABORT OPERATION in response to a
missing return.

Yet, note 3 within section 4.1.3 says that "After invoking the UNBIND
operation, the initiator MUST NOT INVOKE ANY FURTHER OPERATIONS nor send any
returns".

May the User invoke a Peer-Abort operation while an Unbind-Invocation is
pending?

Best regards,

Tim Ray

NASA/Goddard