[CSS-CLOUD] Minor concept paper update

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 1 23:49:54 UTC 2023

CSS Cloud BOF Colleagues,

The CESG/CMC discussed the cloud BOF and resulting recommendation for working group formation this past Tuesday at the Tokyo meetings. The conclusion from that meeting is to add a lower priority consideration with regard to inclusion of command data delivery via cloud computing. In this case, of course, it would be the mission GDS delivering command data to the agency ground station.  I don't think this changes very much of the concept paper as command data delivery would essentially be another form of  streaming data, leveraging the CLTU PDU for format definition. (It begs the question of delivery for files of command data, but frankly, I think the management of such a filetype is best left to the mission ops center with the understanding that the MOC can initiate streaming from any such files under their control.)

I know we have not discussed this use case in depth in the BOF but my sense is that this can be addressed in the working group, and that we risk more harm than benefit in delaying the creation of the working group. The concept paper with some very minor updates can be found in the CWE via https://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CLOUD/CWE%20Private/Concept%20Paper/Drafts/230601-ConceptPaper%26Report.pdf.   Please look for the yellow highlighting in sections 5 and 7.

In the interest of time, I plan to send the concept paper to the CMC Chair to get the wheels turning re creation of the WG.  Nonetheless if you have any comments please feel free to send those comments along.

Best regards,
-Erik