[CSS-CLOUD] Offer different encodings?

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 23 00:25:01 UTC 2022

Dear Cloud BOF Colleagues,

Part of the standards shaping we discussed at the Toulouse meetings was involved with not necessarily using ASN.1 encoding for producing files of SLE PDUs or streaming data or streaming the SLE PDUs. Part of our discussion about that was deliberating a little bit as to possible alternative encodings such as JSON, XML, or perhaps something else. It occurs to me, and this may be just a brain fart, that maybe we don't have to really indicate any one particular encoding.  Given that the telemetry frames are going into the cloud, it seems that whatever gymnastic/processing is needed can be applied in the cloud for producing whatever encoding is desired. So maybe it's not so much that we would have to choose one encoding but we could indicate some possible alternatives as part of the standardization effort. Taking telemetry as an example, I think this would mean that we would have standard CCSDS telemetry frames going into the cloud computing infrastructure and then it would perhaps be a matter of choice among some different precooked encoding schemes for delivery to the mission operations center. I do know, as an analogy, that for some of the APIs in the DSN there is an option of essentially throwing a switch in the  ReST API to have data returned as XML or have it returned as JSON -- it is something like this that I'm thinking about. I would like to ask for a sanity check - do you think something like this makes sense? I would be interested in hearing any comments you may have. I realize that on the one hand this might be seen as "diluting" a potential standard by setting it scope a little too broadly, but then at the same time it may help with increasing infusion albeit at the cost of a few options. Perhaps we can discuss this at our next teleconference.

Best regards,
-Erik