[CMC] Proposed RID resolution for CMC-P-2018-05-006 Request specific extension of existing TC20/SC13/CCSDS and TC20/SC14 liaison agreement to jointly work on extending the CCSDS Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems (RASDS, CCSDS 311.0-M-1)

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 24 18:55:39 UTC 2019

Dear CMC members,

During the CMC poll CMC-P-2018-05-006 "Request specific extension of existing TC20/SC13/CCSDS and TC20/SC14 liaison agreement to jointly work on extending the CCSDS Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems (RASDS, CCSDS 311.0-M-1)<https://public.ccsds.org/polls/Lists/CMCP201805006/AllItems.aspx>" there was a Condition raised by Eduardo Bergamini:

INPE

Adopt Provisionally (State Conditions)

Wherever applicable in the text associated Polling Template, I would like to ask for the change of the current term "CCSDS" by the term "CCSDS-ISO TC20/SC13".
It must be reminded that, for many years, CCSDS-ISO TC20/SC13 held JOINT and extensive discussions with ISO TC20/SC14, in this case, with their Liaison representative, Mr. Fred Slane. I (E. Bergamini) had the opportunity of start a series of discussions with Mr. Fred Slane, years ago, on this subject, at the occasion of a ISO TC20/SC14 Plenary meeting hald in São José dos Campos, years ago. Our late colleague ADRIAN HOOKE, then, as the head of CESG/CCSDS entered in the discussions and started to take active part in this process. The main objective ofmthis process was to find ways to explore aspects of CCSDS System Architecture that could be of interest for application in the domain of ISO TC20/SC14. Of course, this concept ended up, very naturally, somehow, related on the work being done by CCSDS SEA WG. SEA WG is being led by the remarkasble work being done by Dr. PETER SHAMES and his WG colleagues, in this case.  This is ALL documented in our records. Systematically, whenever possible, Dr. PETER SHAMES has been reporting to ISO TC20/SC13 meetings on the advancement of his related Liaison activities with Mr. Fred Slane, on the asociated topic. This Liaison work has been officially and explicitly expressed as one of those CCDSDS-ISO TC TC20/SC13 Liaisons with other organizations. This is important, because ISO TC20/SC13 is the CCSDS "arm" in the domain of ISO. It is also opportune to remind that a Liaison between two different ISO organizations is more flexible and simple to instrument than that when one of the two liaised organi8zations does not belong to ISO. On behalf of INPE, I do appreciate that this remainder may be taken into consideration by CCSDS, in the request we have expressed in the beginning of the above text. Thank you!

We understand Eduardo's concern and agree that the wording of the text should be changed from referencing "CCSDS" to referencing "CCSDS-ISO TC20/SC13".  I think we all understand that we are, in effect, making this liaison agreement between two ISO organizations, but also that it is the CCSDS "arm" that has the resources to actually do the work.  This wording change should reflect that.

However, in the time since this CESG/CMC poll was initiated (the CESG poll, CESG-P-2017-09-001, dates back to Oct 2017) there has been further discussion between the SEA, on behalf of CCSDS, and the ISO TC20/SC14.  In a recent email exchange our ISO TC20/SC14 colleagues pointed out that there is an existing agreement in place for such work and that there is a process defined for initiating and agreeing on such work.  These were created in August 2007 and signed by the relevant CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13 and ISO TC20/SC14 leadership, Mike Kearney as the CCSDS General Secretary, Eduardo Bergamini for ISO TC20/SC13, Larry Schultz as the ISO TC20/SC14 Chairman, and Erin Kahn as the ISO TC20/SC14 Secretary.  Copies of these documents are attached.

In addition to aligning this agreement on joint work with this prior CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13 and ISO TC20/SC14 agreement, the SC14 would now like to have the text of this Liaison Agreement reflect both extending the CCSDS Reference Architecture, RASDS, CCSDS 311.0-M-1, and also harmonizing the CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13 Glossary with the ISO TC20 / SC14 Glossary.  In point of fact, they would like to use the SANA Glossary registry to store these harmonized results.

Based on the existing CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13 and ISO TC20/SC14 agreement it appears that what we should be doing is to handle this according to what is described on pg 2 of the "Agreement for Definition of a Joint Work Procedure for Identification and Exploration of Liaison Work Related to ISO Standards in Space Systems", in the attached file named "Refs.N405-SC13.&.530-SC14.Agreement.Aug.8.&.6.2007".  This allows for creation of an ad hoc Joint Technical Group (JTG), and that "for each specific work item a corresponding joint agreement, to be expressed in terms of a 'Liaison Agreement for Work Item', or a "LAWI""  I believe that the information that we had in the draft Liaison Agreement, edited to align with this prior agreement, is entirely suitable for this purpose, and I have agreement on this approach from the current ISO TC20 / SC14 Chairman, Paul Gill, and the current Secretary, Nick Tongson.

In order to bring all of this proposed work into line with the existing liaison agreement, titled "TechnicalReportContacts.Refs.N406-SC13.&.N531-SC14.Aug.8.&.6.2007", I think we need to make some changes to the wording of this resolution.  In fact, we may need to resubmit it as a new resolution, instead of just finalizing the current one.
Proposed rewording of the resolution …

TC20/SC14 and SC13/CCSDS agree there is a common, complimentary basis for standards development. From that basis, they agree to the evolution of a common reference architecture representation. SC14 and SC13/CCSDS agree to exchange information on the evolution of architecture elements such as reference architecture documents, where relevant. The SC14 architectural elements will be developed and approved in SC14. The CCSDS architectural elements will be developed and approved in CCSDS. They agree to the continued collaboration on standards with common interests.

CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13 and ISO TC20/SC14 have an existing framework for standards development, the "Agreement for Definition of a Joint Work Procedure for Identification and Exploration of Liaison Work Related to ISO Standards in Space Systems", documented in the file named "Refs.N405-SC13.&.530-SC14.Agreement.Aug.8.&.6.2007".  From that basis these two organizations agree to create an ad hoc Joint Technical Group to work on two specific topics, as documented in this draft Liaison Agreement for Work Item (LAWI):

1)      Evolution of the CCSDS Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems (RASDS), CCSDS 311.0-M-1, to include new viewpoints required by both organizations

2)      Harmonization of the Glossary terms common to the two organization and updates to what will become the shared Glossary stored in the CCSDS SANA Glossary registry

For the first item the CCSDS – TC20/SC13 and TC20/SC14 agree to the Plan of Work that is to evolve a common reference architecture framework and representation. CCSDS – TC20/SC13 and TC20/SC14 agree to exchange information on the evolution of architecture elements such as reference architecture documents, where relevant. The TC20/SC14 architectural elements will be developed and approved in TC20/SC14. The CCSDS TC20/SC13 architectural elements will be developed and approved in CCSDS. The two organizations agree to identify a suitable path toward publishing the integrated and updated document.  This might follow a process similar to that used for the "Conjunction Data Message", CCSDS 508.0-B-1, which is also published as ISO 19389<https://www.iso.org/standard/64784.html?browse=tc>.  The Technical Report Contacts for this work item will be: Fred Slane for ISO TC20/SC14 and Peter Shames for CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13.

For the second item the CCSDS – TC20/SC13 and TC20/SC14 agree to the Plan of Work that is to develop a harmonized set of Glossary terms that are common to the two organizations.   The development of the common reference architecture will support identification of the areas of overlap and the areas where the concerns of the two organizations are disjoint.  The existing CCSDS SANA Glossary registry (https://sanaregistry.org/r/terms) contains all of the currently identified published CCSDS – TC20/SC13 terms.  Work is underway in various CCSDS Areas to review and update this registry.  The TC20/SC14 is also in the process of evaluating their Glossary terms.  This Joint Technical Group will be the means to resolve any issues and to manage the process of making updates to what will become the shared CCSDS – TC20/SC13 and TC20/SC14 Glossary that will be stored in the CCSDS SANA Glossary registry.  The Technical Report Contacts for this work item will be: Dan Oltrogge for ISO TC20/SC14 and Peter Shames for CCSDS – ISO TC20/SC13.

I believe that these changes to the text of the resolution accurately reflect what is required by the existing Liaison Agreement and the procedure that is defined therein.  I leave it to the CMC and the Secretariat to determine if we need a new resolution or if we can just modify the existing one and proceed.

Thanks, Peter Shames