[CMC] CCSDS input to Vocabularies, Glossaries for the Spacecraft Ground Systems Domain

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Wed Mar 1 14:27:01 UTC 2017

Dear CMC members

herewith I would like to address with you an issue that I have never seen
in the past 15 years (11 as CESG Co-Chair and 4 as CESG chair)

Notwithstanding the CESG Chair recommendation (see mail below) , the SEA
AD has decided unilaterally to deliver a CCSDS response to the OMG RFI on
Vocabularies, Glossaries for the Spacecraft Ground Systems Domain (see
mail below).

The following is noted
SEA AD has broken the formal steps foreseen in the Proc & Org YB when
consensus is not achieved (see the CESG Chair mail below). There were
several mails from the CESG Chair warning him on the need of further
discussions
SEA AD has proceeded with the RFI submission without having the authority
to do that.
SEA AD has given higher priority to the OMG RFI due date (28th Feb 2017)
than the achievement of consensus within the CESG and CMC.
SEA AD has ignored that this type of requests has to be carried out by the
nominated liaison to OMG (i.e,. MOIMS AD)
SEA AD is also giving the option to convert this as a NASA response to the
RFI. This mixes CCSDS and Agency interests (I accept  that at the end
could be the same). This is particular weird coming from the SEA AD who is
one of the most ferocious defenders of CESG ADs role without wearing the
"Agency hat"
SEA AD did not warn the CESG of his intentions before the RFI due date,
This is understandable, because he would have received the same CESG Chair
position

As CESG Chair I will bring this topic to the next CMC meeting. I will also
propose some updates to the YB to avoid this type of behaviour in the
future.

ciao
nestor

PS:
For the sake of completeness I attach below the main goal of this RFI
The RFI was generated based on a request from US Air Force attendees to
establish a common terminology for ground system operations personnel.
The SDTF is trying to help them determine what is already established as
?standard? terminology from various industry and government sources.  The
results of the RFI will help them refine the scope of what they are asking
for and they could possibly adopt one of the inputs without any further
action by the SDTF.

Re: Vocabularies, Glossaries for the Spacecraft Ground Systems Domain

Nestor Peccia
to:
Peter Shames
22/02/2017 21:24

Cc:
Mario Merri, "CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG Exec"

Peter
As CESG Chair I am against to respond to the OMG RFI under pressure
I do not like this type of private mails without involving our liaison.
If OMG is really interested in our work, they can delay the FRI due date
by 1 or 2 months.
Or they can go ahead without us. The world will not break apart, unless
there are other type of interests (not known to me)
As there is no consensus, we must wait until the issue  is discussed at
CESG and CMC level.
And the exchange of info shall be via the liaison. Please tell the US OMG
colleagues to follow the liaison signed document

Ciao
Nestor
----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 01/03/2017 14:01 -----