[CMC] DAI WG Response
osvaldo.peinado at dlr.de
osvaldo.peinado at dlr.de
Mon Feb 6 09:06:44 UTC 2017
Also by DLR
Von: CMC [mailto:cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org] Im Auftrag von Soula Jean-Marc
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Februar 2017 10:05
An: Nestor.Peccia at esa.int; 'cmc at mailman.ccsds.org'
Cc: Ross, David (HQ-CG000)[Arctic Slope Technical Services, Inc.]; Mario.Merri at esa.int; Behal Brigitte
Betreff: Re: [CMC] DAI WG Response
The delay is approved for CNES.
CNES - DNO/SA/DA
Deputy Head of Stations networks and Alert systems Department
18 Avenue Edouard Belin
31401 Toulouse Cedex 9 - France
Tel.: +33 (0)5 61 2 74647
Fax.: +33 (0)5 61 2 73993
Email: jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr<mailto:jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr>
De : CMC [mailto:cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org] De la part de Nestor.Peccia at esa.int<mailto:Nestor.Peccia at esa.int>
Envoyé : jeudi 2 février 2017 10:07
À : 'cmc at mailman.ccsds.org'
Cc : Ross, David (HQ-CG000)[Arctic Slope Technical Services, Inc.]; Mario.Merri at esa.int<mailto:Mario.Merri at esa.int>; Behal Brigitte
Objet : [CMC] DAI WG Response
Dear CMC members,
1. a mail was sent yesterday by the Secretariat asking the CMC for guidance on the action placed upon the DAI WG / MOIMS ADs during the last CMC meeting (without consulting first the CESG Chairs)
1. the DAI WG Chair is insisting via the Secretariat to comply more with the due date agreed with the CMC than the MOIMS ADs obligations vis a vis any of its WGs wrt roadmap, architecture and protocols cross-check at Area and CESG level.
I, as CESG Chair, would like to express my humble opinion
1. As stated in my mail from 28th Oct 2016, the action was placed upon the DAI WG and the MOIMS ADs (not only on the WG chairs) I attach the text below for the sake of consistency
1. The DAI WG TN was officially distributed to the MOIMS ADs and CESG Chairs by 25th January 2017 (i.e. 5 working days before the due date of 1st Feb 2017). The WG needed ca. 3 months to issue the TN
1. There is currently no consensus between the WG Chair and the ADs about the TN final contents (several comments have been raised by the ADs who reviewed it during the last weekend, but further analysis is needed). Therefore the next step would be (in case of persistence of the non-consensus) to bring the issue at CESG level. The WG Chair can not bypass the hierarchical chain, contacting the CMC via the Secretariat
1. ADs have (according to the Proc & Org YB) the task to
* assess the WG charter
* ensure the quality and content of the WG / Area roadmap
* ensure that the Area work follows the set of architectural principles agreed by the CESG and is properly synchronized with work in other areas
* make sure that technical cross-pollination occurs among the various Area WGs
1. 1 month delay in the completion of an action has no impact in the whereabouts of the DAI WG. The schedule relaxation on DAI Projects (due to lack of resources) has been a regular pattern during the last years.
Therefore, I suggest as CESG Chair that CMC agrees with the new action due date proposed by the MOIMS ADs, i.e. 1st March 2017
Last but not least, the CESG Chair fully supports the past / current / future work of the DAI WG and endorses its existence. The only objection is on the way the above mentioned action was / is being handled
Action to be completed by DAI WG Chairs and MOIMS ADs
RESOLUTION 25. DAI WG Resolution:
CMC acknowledges that in today's Data Economy, space systems generating and transporting large amounts of relevant data; be it science (GAIA is generating 50 GB/day) earth observation (Sentinel-2A generating 1 TB/ h), navigation or telecommunication satellites, constitute key assets for the Data industry.
In this context, standards supporting proper storage and preservation of data, open access to the space data, merging of data from different sources, analysis and processing big data and all related processes and mechanisms are of paramount importance.
Scientific communities are already for quite some time working nationally and internationally to define adequate standards for their data, be it astronomy, planetary exploration or earth observation.
The question is what should the CCSDS organisation do and how should it position itself in the wake of such space data revolution and how could the work done over the years to standardise data storage and archiving be leveraged at the service of the new paradigms.
In this context, and following the request of the DAI WG to the CMC for support, CMC would like to encourage the DAI WG to address the following questions within a short paper to be delivered to CMC by 1 February 2017:
1. What is the current DAI roadmap and how does it make a valuable contribution to the data issue, taking into account what has already been produced including the overall worldwide efforts in this area?
1. Taking into account that there are dedicated international organisations working on archiving and merging scientific data, astronomy data, as well as Earth data, what should be the role of CCSDS in general and that of the DAI WG in particular?
1. Is the long term data preservation of the housekeeping data properly addressed in these initiatives? Is there a need for developing this part of the data preservation?
1. In this context, what would be the next project for the DAI WG in the future, should resources be available, and how would this project fit with the current CCSDS reference architecture and work plan?
Clarification: None. DAI and MOIMS to produce the requested TN.
Take Notice: M. Merri / B. Behal, D. Giaretta / J. Garrett
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only.
The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its
content is not permitted.
If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.
Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the CMC