[CMC] [SSG] Response to Conditions raised in CMC-P-2016-04-014 Approval for CCSDS Agency HoD and Spectrum Managers to provide actual spectrum allocations for active spacecraft

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 6 15:04:01 UTC 2016

Dear Osvaldo,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate and respond.  In this table we have only listed the downlink frequencies.   If everyone on the CMC feels it is important we could also list the uplink frequencies as well.  One thing I do note is that uplink and downlink often use different frequency bands, and I think that some of that shows up in some of the entries you put into the table.

The S-band numbers seem to be the same,  except that you did not distinguish near Earth and Deep Space.
The X-band is identical
The range you have listed as Ku band DL (10.7 to 12.75 GHz DL) actually seems to be within what IEEE calls the X-band range (7-12 GHz), but the uplink is within the Ku range (12-18 GHz)
The range you have listed as the Ka (COM-Band) DL 18.1 – 21.2 GHz actually seems to be within what IEEE calls the K band (18-27 GHz)

I think if we are going to reference these IEEE / ITU frequency bands that we should apply them, and use their names and ranges, uniformly across all agencies.  Regardless of the name that might be given to them in any country it is the frequency ranges that are the useful discriminator for our purposes.  Don’t you all agree?

Thanks, Peter