[CMC] Re: [CESG] [Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 23 April 2015

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 7 19:56:15 UTC 2015

Dear Mario,

It appears that we have a somewhat confused situation here, compounded, perhaps, of inexperience and an eagerness to get things moving.  I do appreciate you digging out the "audit trail" of emails, as painful as that might have been.  What it makes clear to me, and I hope to the others, is that while the first, technical condition, on the CESG poll was satisfied the second condition that I put on the original CESG approval poll was not satisfied and proper procedures for nominating and voting on the WG chair were not followed.

Please see the quoted sections of the CCSDS Organization and Procedures Manual, A02.1-Y-4C1, dated April 2014, shown below.

My suggestion is that we accept the CMC poll to create the WG, since they have approved the WG and the resources, and that is their prerogative in any event (see Sec 2.3.3).   However,  I think that we must create a new CESG poll for the WG chair, since that is the CESG's business and it was never properly handled to begin with (see Sec 2.3.2.3 and 2.3.3.4).

Best regards, Peter

2.3.3 WORKING GROUPS

2.3.3.1 General

The vast majority of the work of CCSDS is done in many Working Groups (WGs) that are clustered into closely related technical Areas. Each WG has a specific published and approved charter and schedule that it is required to follow and a set of associated resources that must be committed by a sponsor to do the work.

No WG will be initiated by CCSDS unless a credible resource profile has been prepared and at least two agencies have agreed to provide the necessary support (see 5.5.2).

The WG charters, including the list of documents/products of the WG, and the schedule for those products are maintained in the on-line Framework. The data is entered by the WG chairs, approved by the CMC, and configuration-managed by the Secretariat in the Framework.

2.3.2.3 CESG Responsibilities

The CESG is specifically responsible for the following:

  1.  c)  reviewing the proposed composition and program of work of all new WGs in each Area to ensure that they are technically consistent, contribute to a cohesive set of CCSDS architectural concepts, properly respect the need for smooth evolution of the large installed base of CCSDS-compatible systems, and are not otherwise disruptive to the needs of customers;

  2.  d)  making recommendations to the CMC concerning which new WGs should be approved;

  1.  n)  approving WG Chairs and Deputy Chairs;

2.3.3.4 Working Group Chairs

Working Group chairs are nominated by an Area Director and approved by the CESG. Candidates for selection as WG chairs must be recognized as a leading technical expert in the field covered by that WG. Candidates may come from any organization (including industry) and do not have to be employees of space agencies.