[CMC Alert] CMC SPECIAL TELECON - Standardization of Patented Technologies

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 10 13:33:26 EST 2011

Dear Juan,

Ø  it would be good to know how ISO deals with patents that

Ø     are approved in say only one country with respect to those that are

Ø     approved in several countries;

I have sent that question to ISO.

Concerning the topic of whether CCSDS focuses only on benefits to the missions of (a) the CCSDS space agencies, (b) CCSDS plus ISO SC13 participants, or (c) all spaceflight efforts worldwide, I think it is important for us to come to agreement on what the intended goals of CCSDS/SC13 are.  And once we come to agreement, clarify the text (charter, procedures manual) so that we have a consistent, permanent understanding.

(for the benefit of those who were not in the telecon this morning)  We had this discussion and several agencies made points about the minimum CCSDS user base being not only CCSDS participants but also ISO participants (since CCSDS standards become ISO standards).  And some agencies (NASA included) made points that the CCSDS goal was to enhance spaceflight efforts worldwide.  I think we came to a consensus that the scope of our group is at least CCSDS *and* the ISO community, but the question about whether the scope was worldwide needs further discussion.

Looking at the CCSDS Charter (which is above the procedures manual):

http://public.ccsds.org/about/charter.aspx

Ø  provides the maximum benefit for the interested agencies, both individually and collectively,

That is a bit ambiguous as to whether the “interested agencies” are only the CCSDS agencies or any agency that is interested in using our standards.  It could be interpreted as “interested in developing” (11 Agencies) or “interested in using” (worldwide).

Ø  5.  to promote the application of the Recommendations within the space mission community

That statement clearly addresses the space mission community beyond the agencies of the CCSDS.

Ultimately, as I mentioned in this discussion, this decision is needed for us to interpret “non-discriminatory”.  If “non discriminatory” applies only to participating agencies, then a patent for only “CCSDS agencies” is OK.  If it applies worldwide, then “only for CCSDS agencies” does not meet the requirement for non-discriminatory.

I have spent some time researching the ISO website.  I could not find a direct answer to the question about whether ISO standards are intended for the usage of only those organizations that *develop* ISO standards, or also for “everyone else”.  However, reading the material on that website, I concluded that the question is not directly answered because it is considered obvious…  ISO standards are intended for more than the organizations that develop the standards.  They are intended to be used worldwide, government and commercial, and by organizations that are not part of the development of ISO standards.  I believe that if ISO had a proposal to standardize a patented technology that was RAND (Reasonable and non-discriminatory) for ISO standards-developers, and not RAND for others, it would reject that standard.  I would consider trying to ask ISO if that is the case, but I think it is so implicit in the ISO charter as to be obvious, and I would try their patience (I may already be doing that).

Some info from the ISO website:

What's the bottom line on ISO?   ISO's work makes a positive difference to the world we live in. ISO standards add value to all types of business operations. They contribute to making the development, manufacturing and supply of products and services more efficient, safer and cleaner. They make trade between countries easier and fairer.

ISO standards distil an international consensus from the broadest possible base of stakeholder groups. Expert input comes from those closest to the needs for the standards and also to the results of implementing them. In this way, although voluntary, ISO standards are widely respected and accepted by public and private sectors internationally.

My conclusion is this:  We want our standards to be used by any space mission (not just CCSDS agency missions).   We want this for the same reason that ISO wants it – the broadest possible base of stakeholders, the broadest possible chance of future interoperability with all entities (including those that are not currently CCSDS standards developers).  Therefore our procedures to reject discriminatory policies by patent holders must include rejecting those that discriminate against anyone, not only against CCSDS agencies.   Our RAND policy must apply to all users, not just CCSDS agency mission users.

If our charter and procedures don’t reflect that by using terminology like “participating agencies”, then we should revise the text.

Having said all that…  ISO has approved some technologies (like MPEG) which are royalty-free for non commercial uses, but have a reasonable license fee for commercial users.  It is RAND for all, but the RAND terms are different for commercial users.  So those “RAND but not always equal” licensing terms would be allowable for CCSDS to adopt, as far as ISO is concerned.

Once again, sorry for the long email.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

NASA MSFC EO-01