[CMC E-Poll Alert] Proposed resolution

Soula Jean-Marc jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr
Fri Oct 21 10:33:14 EDT 2005

Dear CMC members,

In the upcoming CMC meeting, we will need to take care of the RF&M WG in the SLS area : in Athens, the extension of this WG was put on hold, pending on the results of the SFCG-25.
As SFCG-25 just occured, I think we owe the Area and WG decision guidance.

The following proposal summarizes our understanding of the situation and suggests a resolution in that respect.

Considering that the RFM WG had requested and obtained an extension of its activities till the end of 2005, pending on the results of the SFCG-25 on the Bandwidth Efficient Modulations, and

Considering that the SFCG-25 did promote the Rec 14-3R7 to an approved status and reinforced their recommendation to use "bandwidth and power efficient modulations and coding techniques", and

Recognizing that SFCG-25 did not quantify the definitions of acceptable bandwidth and power efficient modulations and coding techniques, as they feel this doesn't pertain to Frequency Management area, and

Considering the liaison statement from SFCG-25 to CCSDS requesting to provide "guidance or suggestions to the SFCG on the use of modulation and coding techniques in the band 8025 - 8400 MHz ", so acknowledging the authority of CCSDS to do so, and

Considering that IOAG urges the CCSDS to reduce the number of modulations and to finalize the activities in the RF & Mod domain (IOAG resolution 8.3.1), and

Considering that the Rec 2.4.18 of CCSDS document 401 on RF & Modulation had been revised and agreed upon and was just missing the SFCG-25 results,

CNES recommends for the resolution of CMC that:

The RF & Modulation WG is requested to terminate in decembre 2005 the maintenance phase of the 401 document and to issue the Rec 2.4.18 as was prepared, just adding the technical definitions of bandwidth efficiency and acceptable coding ratios as were previously agreed and expected from SFCG, and taking into account the IOAG expectations.

I appreciate if this may be considered in the upcoming meeting in the course of the discussions or as an additional agenda item.

Thanks and regards

Jean-Marc SOULA
Chargé de Mission Réseaux de Stations
DCT/OP/CM