[CMC E-Poll Alert] CCSDS Procedures

CCSDS Editor secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org
Thu Jul 14 11:00:05 EDT 2005

Dear CMC Members:

Approval of the Proposal for Restructuring the CCSDS Organization and
Processes in 2003 modified some procedures to be in conflict with those
defined in the Procedures Manual and the Publications Manual.  At the
present time, many of these procedural disparities have been resolved, but
some have not.

One change introduced with the Proposal for Restructuring is abrogation of
the requirement for CMC approval to publish certain types of
documents.  Prior to the restructuring, any document released to the
general public and represented as a publication of the CCSDS required CMC
approval for publication.  In the Proposal for Restructuring, Green Books
and Yellow Books are allowed to be published without CMC approval.

The problem now is that a new Green Book is ready for publication, but the
Procedures Manual explicitly requires CMC approval to publish it, and the
Publications Manual defines a Green Book Authority Page that states, "This
document has been approved for publication by the Management Council of the
Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS)."

The Procedures and Publications Manuals will be updated to be consistent
with the Proposal for Restructuring and presented for CMC review and
approval in the near future.  However, since the review and approval
process requires time, and since the Working Group responsible for the
current Green Book is especially eager to have it published, I propose that
I remove the Authority Page from the Green Book, so that it is not
incorrectly represented as a Management Council-approved publication, and
publish it without further delay.  Both actions constitute technical
violations of the Procedures and Publications Manuals as they currently stand.

If any CMC member objects to the proposal above, please advise via return
e-mail;  otherwise, I will assume concurrence.

Best regards,
Tom Gannett