[CMC] CMC Review of CCSDS Strategic Plan Draft 11

JAXA CCSDS Secretary Office jaxa.ccsds at jaxa.jp
Wed Nov 27 03:40:08 EST 2013

Dear Nick-san,

Here is JAXA's review result on "CCSDS Strategic Plan Draft 11".

First, we would like to confirm whether the changes made in the Draft 11 are
based on the "CCSDS high level goals", that were developed in the telecon of
"Big Picture" Adhoc Group. They are then added to the Strategic Plan with
some upgrades to the original expressions used in the "Technical Goals".

As for "External Relations and Outreach Strategic Goal", we also discussed
this in the last teleconference. JAXA would like to confirm why ERO is not
shown in the Strategic Plan. May I understand that they will be reflected in
the Plan in a subsequent version?

Please see below for JAXA comments on the Strategic Plan Draft 11.

1. Area objectives and Goal
Nestor's previous mail dated Nov. 9 states that interdependencies between
WGs and Projects are not shown. My impression was that it would facilitate
understanding if each goals corresponds to each WGs, however, should we
understand that this would add complexity and thus not favorable?

2. JAXA review result on Books/Projects listed in the Strategic Plan
Detailed review results are summarized in the attached spreadsheet as
follows:

Sheet "Existing":
Attached spreadsheet shows issued Blue/Magenta Books that are not listed
anywhere in the Strategic Plan. Five such Books were identified.
(Green/Yellow Books are not counted.)

Sheet "Currently in Production":
We compared approved projects listed on the CWE web page and those listed in
the Strategic Plan, as shown in the spreadsheet. (Please confer our comments
in the sheet for projects of which descriptions in the Strategic Plan are
preferable to be changed
from "Future" to "Currently in Production.")

As indicated in Nestor's last mail, we confirmed that 30 projects are not
listed in the Strategic Plan. If there is a particular reason for it, we
would like to know why these 30 projects are not included.

Sheet "Future":
We compared "unapproved" projects listed in gray rows on the CWE web page
and those listed in the Strategic Plan, as shown in the spreadsheet. (One
comment in the sheet "Future")

Sheet "No Project":
We listed projects that are described as future projects in the Strategic
Plan but not yet listed as projects on the CWE web page.

* Editorial upgrades:
  (Page 10) Existing Recommended Standards/Practices, SEA-Goal 1, 1.1
SEA: CCSDS 352.0-B-1 Crytographic Algorithms --> CCSDS 352.0-B-1
Cryptographic (add "p") Algorithms

I hope our review would be of any help. Should you have any question on the
above, please advise us so.

Best regards,

Y. Kimura
JAXA CCSDS Secretariat