[CMC] FW: New CCSDS process for resource management

Juan.Miro at esa.int Juan.Miro at esa.int
Sat Jul 7 11:01:55 EDT 2012

Mike,

thank you very much for having come out with a concrete implementation of the
wishes expressed by the CMC regarding   governance of resources. I am aware
it has not been easy to define the details in a way that will work
effectively without overdoing it and overburdening the people involved. I
believe it is a good and balanced approach and I agree with you to review the
lessons learnt after 1 year (first experience could be exchange already at
the fall CMC meeting.

You have my full support on this matter.

Regards
Juan

Juan Miro
Head Ground Systems Engineering Department
European Space Agency

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov>                                                                                                |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |CCSDS Management Council <CMC at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |06/07/2012 23:45                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CMC] FW: New CCSDS process for resource management                                                                                                   |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

CMC Colleagues:  As discussed in the Darmstadt meeting, and as agreed to in
the recent CMC poll, I have sent the instructions to the WG chairs to start
up the resources system in the CCSDS Management Framework.  The email to the
WG chairs is below, and the instructions in PPT form are attached.  It has
undergone considerable change since you last saw it, so you may want to give
it a quick scan.  CMC members should especially look at Chart 9, which
describes what the CMC members should do when their agency is selected to
contribute to a project.

In summary,
   ·         Starting now, all new projects will be required to identify
   agency resources (with estimated man-month numbers for Book Editor and
   Prototypes) before a CMC poll to approve the project.
   ·         Starting after the Fall Plenary (Cleveland), for existing
   projects, we will annually review any changes to agency resource
   commitments to all projects for all functions (much like we review
   schedule changes now).

Important message:  This is very complex, even though it is only partial
resource control (Book Editor and Prototypes).  I believe that complete
resource management cross-agency for all people participating in all working
groups would simply be too complex and expensive for CCSDS.  I’m afraid this
is as much control as we can afford without being crushed by the weight of
our bureaucracy.  I also think we should review this process in about a year,
and evaluate whether the weight of the process is worth the benefit.

Email alerts will be set up so that if your agency is identified as providing
resources for any given project, you will receive an email message
automatically, as we discussed in Darmstadt.  So as soon as WG chairs start
creating new projects and asking for a CMC poll on them, you will start
receiving those messages.   Of course, the WG chair should also contact you
directly.  But even in the case where he does not, you will have this alert
to understand where your agency is being asked to contribute to CCSDS
projects.

Existing projects will not generate alerts until all the existing projects
are re-baselined during the Fall CMC meeting (at KSC in December).  After
that, you will get an alert when a WG chair adds your agency, or deletes your
agency from an existing project (but only for Book Editor and Prototyping).
But all agency changes for all functions (including Contribute and Monitor)
will be reviewed every 6 months like we review schedule changes to the
projects.

For complete details on when alerts were sent out, look at the very last
chart in the attached presentation (backup material).

The overall Resources View of the Framework is here:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Projects/Resources.aspx
Right now it has only sample data on it.  All existing projects will not have
accurate lists of the agencies participating and contributing until after the
Fall Plenary (Cleveland) meeting.

If you want to see what the WG Chair has estimated for FTE or man-months for
a project, you simply click on that project title to go to that project page.
The Resources section of that page will show what the WG chair has estimated
for Book Editor and Prototype efforts, and what agencies are already signed
up for support.  Here is an example, but keep in mind that this is only
example data, and it will be updated after the Cleveland meeting.
http://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Projects/DispForm.aspx?ID=172&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fcwe%2Eccsds%2Eorg%2Ffm%2FLists%2FProjects%2FResources%2Easpx&ContentTypeId=0x0100B63160D64FE81342BE42A874DE7E703D

So, this is the kickoff of the new Resources Management process.  Any
feedback is welcome.

Best regards,

   -=- Mike

CCSDS Chairman and General Secretary
www.ccsds.org
(Embedded image moved to file: pic01620.jpg)cid:3303993661_5210558
Mail Code EO-01
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
Huntsville, Alabama  35803, USA
+1-256-544-2029