[Secretariat] Re: [CMC] Interpretation of charter text and CSSA WG Charter

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 2 10:22:00 EDT 2012

Greetings, Eduardo,

When I said:

Ø  The WG is authorized to begin work on the document *only after* after a project is also developed and submitted for a CMC poll

I was simply emphasizing that no work on the document can begin until after a project is submitted.   Having the book listed in the charter is simply getting approval for the scope to include that document.  The WG can begin work on a document *only after* a project is approved.

I think the confusion may be that I used the word "developed".   I was referring to the development of a *project plan* with resources and schedule.  I was not referring to the development of the document itself.

Did that clarify?

You suggested that another option would be that the charter text would include only a list of topics, not a list of documents.  This is the same as saying that the document list is *not allowed* in the charter text.  I also considered this, but I concluded that greater clarity of the scope of the work is achieved by listing the documents.   I think it is best to leave this up to the WG chairs, and they can either include it or exclude it, depending on what makes the description more clear.  It needs to be as clear as possible for the CMC to vote on it.   Therefore I decided against forbidding the list of documents in the charter text.   However, if the CMC members feel that we should revisit this, I'll be happy to.

Best regards,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
CCSDS Chairman and General Secretary