[CMC] RE: Interpretation of charter text and CSSA WG Charter

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 1 11:26:24 EDT 2012

Well, I may be confused also, Peter, but here's what I understand...

The poll that was started and then was withdrawn was a revised charter for the Cross Supprt Service Management WG.  It is still in work.  But the poll for the Cross Support Space Comm Architecture (CSA) was kept.  That is the poll we are voting on that closes today.

There has not yet been a poll to approve the *project* of a Green Book for the CSA WG.  At that time, when a poll is created to approve the project, we will get all the info about schedule, resources, and participating agencies.

But there is text in this CSSA charter that indicates that included in the scope of the working group are things such as this green book.   What I proposed below is that this simply means that the CMC agrees that this WG is the right place for such work, and agree that it can be on their list of future work.  However, work is not approved to start until the *project* comes to a CMC poll with all the necessary data.

Peter, I saw you comments in your provision.

Ø  There have been concerns raised about there not being a fully developed project for the green book. There should be full information about all books before the charter is formally approved,  as for any charter.

Does my explanation above satisfy your provision?

To wrap up, it is just not reasonable to expect that all charters and projects will all come to poll at the same time.  In fact, we probably want a two-step process...   (1) The WG submits charter text that says that these books are in scope of their work, to get early confirmation from the CMC before they put too much work into it, and (2) the WG develops a detailed proposal for each project, with all the necessary resource and schedule info.  As long as we are approving both charters and projects, I think we need to do each one separately like this, in a sequential yet coupled process.

But I am happy take inputs from CMC members if they have different suggestions or opinions.

And of course, if we all agree, we will need to document this nuance in our procedures, and explain it to the WG chairs.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
Lead Technology Manager
Mission Operations Laboratory