[CMC] Patent Policy for next CMC poll

Juan.Miro at esa.int Juan.Miro at esa.int
Sun Mar 13 14:01:18 EST 2011

Der Mike and fellow delegates,

find attached the file with my few "editorial" comments and proposed
modifications, which I repeat here for convenience:

original text:
Cases where very small segments of the CCSDS user base may be disadvantaged..
.
comment:
I propose to remove “very small” because e.g. military is not very small, but
yet could be seen as marginal regarding CCSDS agencies and ISO member bodies.

original text:
..prioritizing the needs..
comment
I propose to reword: "priorities and needs"

Regards
Juan

(See attached file: Proposed Patent Policy text for CCSDS Procedures JM.doc)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov>                                                                                                |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"cmc at mailman.ccsds.org" <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |09/03/2011 19:40                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CMC] Patent Policy for next CMC poll                                                                                                                 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

CMC Colleagues:  When we finished the special telecon on Patent Policy last
Monday, I anticipated getting the revised policy text to you that afternoon
and having a poll starting Wednesday or Thursday.  Unfortunately, I could not
complete the text until today (Wednesday).  It is attached, with “changes
tracked” compared to the last version that I sent you.

As discussed in the telecon, I have made the following changes:
      1.       Include the ISO policy as an Annex, rather than as a web link
      2.       Add caveat that in some cases, the needs of the CCSDS member
      agencies should not be blocked by RAND issues with very small segments
      of the user base.
      3.       The WGs are not required to research patent law
      4.       Exactly who the COI notification request applies to
      5.       At some point in the future, we may have a waiver process

Keeping in mind the request from telecon attendees to complete this as soon
as possible, while still fresh in memory, I propose that you look at this
text Thursday and Friday and send me any comments that you have.  We will
incorporate those comments and issue a CMC poll to approve the policy text
this weekend (after close-of-business Friday in the USA).

Thanks very much for your support as we wrap up the first phase of resolving
this complex question.  The second phase occurs when the documents come
forward with patented technologies (DVB-S, LDPC, SCCC) for approval.

Best regards,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01
256-544-2029

 [attachment "Proposed Patent Policy text for CCSDS Procedures.doc" deleted
CMC mailing list
CMC at mailman.ccsds.org