[CMC] (no subject)

Juan.Miro at esa.int Juan.Miro at esa.int
Sat Mar 5 12:40:26 EST 2011

Dear all,

I share the concern of Jean-Marc and I am satisfied with the answer of Mike.

Regards
Juan

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov>                                                                                                |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"cmc at mailman.ccsds.org" <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |"Secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org" <Secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |03/03/2011 22:53                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CMC] (no subject)                                                                                                                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear CMC members:   As you know we have two important polls on CCSDS Patent
Policy.  For one of them, Jean-Marc submitted this as a provision:

 It should be clarified at which stage of the production process the patent
 statement and licensing declaration form should be completed. The wording
 "before any CCSDS document can be submitted to the CMC for potential
 approval on the Standards Track" potentially places this requirement quite
 late and possibly just before CMC approval. It was CNES understanding that
 this should be handled much earlier or even at the time of chartering a
 working group or adding a new project/document to a WG charter. Alternately
 it could be one of the first objectives of a just created WG or Project. The
 background idea is not to spend resources and discover difficulties at a
 late stage.

We did indeed discuss in the last telecon that it must be done as early as
possible in the CCSDS process.  However, some situations may not be
discovered until late in the process.  I did not want to write up a policy
statement in the resolution that excluded the ability to work out issues that
are discovered late, and would automatically disapprove those documents.  So
in the statement of when a document would have “stop work” orders, I left
that to be only for final approval of the document.

However, in the *procedures document* draft that I sent out, I did include
the statement “Procedurally, this shall be addressed in the development and
approval of charters for CCSDS teams (WGs and SIGs), and in the approval
process for adding standards documentation projects to WG charters.”   This
means that WGs are required to make a statement about Patent encumberances
(1) when they submit a new working group charter, and (2) when they add a new
document project to their plan of work in the framework.   I believe that
procedurally, that will answer Jean-Marc’s provision.  I planned to discuss
this more, with more concrete examples, in our telecon #2 on Patent Policy,
on Monday.

Jean, Marc, in that case, is it OK to proceed with the resolution?  Is it OK
to handle your provisional concern with the procedures document text?

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01
256-544-2029

 (See attached file: Proposed Patent Policy text for CCSDS Procedures.doc)