[CMC] Important topics to discuss at CESG and potentially with some implications at CMC

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Sun Oct 17 13:16:12 EDT 2010

Dear CMC members,

Please find below an ESA request sent to the CESG for discussion.

I suggest that also is discussed at CMC level

ciao
nestor

Adrian,

I am worried about the following issue within ESA

We have been requested (in a serious and formal way) to look at a
reduction of our standardization budget from 2011 onwards. I do not like
that but ESA must go through this exercise.

I would like to discuss the following during our CESG meetings:

Meeting Duration
Reduction of CCSDS technical meetings from 5 to 4 days (from a Gaussian
participation distribution to a flat one??)
CESG meeting on Friday (CMC can meet physically once a year and the other
meeting can be held via webex)
Further CESG issues to be discussed via webex at monthly rate

WGs
Too many WGs ==> too many cross WG / cross Area meetings (look at the
Agendas to figure out the number to be held at London). How can we improve
it?
WGs with only 1 or 2 Agencies participating. What to do ? Leave or close
WG ?
More work via webex / telecon (many WGs do not have telecons or webex
between official meetings)

Project Priority
Define top 10 Projects to give CMC an indication on where to allocate
resources. To be discussed if feasible.

Schedule
Eternal delay of Projects. Let's control only the top priority ones (10 ?)
??

Working Methodology
Although I agree with the current methodology, the SM&C saga and the
manpower ESA consumed in the more than 7 or 8 reviews of MAL BB, RM MB and
GB can not be sustained in the future. Imagine what it will come with the
Common Services, Mission Planning Services, etc.We (already some steps
have been taken in that direction) must discuss again this.

ESA will also bring this discussion at CMC level.

ciao
nestor