[CMC] FW: IOAG-12 Liaison Statement to CCSDS

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 25 09:11:14 EST 2008

At 03:42 AM 11/25/2008, Soula Jean-Marc wrote:
>I agree that there is some confusion on the respective roles of IOAG
>and CCSDS.
>The agreements established between the two bodies in 2004 (Toulouse)
>and 2005 (Reston) seem to have faded away and everybody makes lots
>of assumptions on what the other should do, while all of this had
>been explicitely defined and agreed.
>I hope the IOP will be the opportunity to clarify and fix these issues.

How can that occur if the CCSDS is excluded from the IOP? I will be
attending purely in the observer role of CCSDS technical liaison,
which I share with Nestor. But I can't speak for CMC issues. I am not
sure who invited me and as far as I know there has been no other
formal invitation for CCSDS personnel to participate. So how are the
IOP delegates going to acquire sufficient facts to clarify the
issues? Or are you assuming that since several of the IOAG delegates
are also CMC members, IOP-2 will be the opportunity for them to call
an unscheduled "mini, ad-hoc CMC meeting", much as the IOAG itself is
now doing?

There are well-known  issues both with the composition and operations
of the IOAG, and with its relationship to other organizations. The
IOP is certainly an opportunity to "clarify" these issues *if* the
right people are there to present the facts. But the thought of the
IOP "fixing" the issues based on limited information, filtered
through the IOAG, should possibly be quite disturbing to the CMC.

Given the fact that we are precisely 14-days away from the IOP, it
doesn't seem reasonable to try to resolve the issues between now and
then. One would therefore hope that the IOP will simply recognize
that there significant organizational issues on the table and will
task the IOAG, CCSDS and SFCG to meet to come up with a
mutually-satisfactory set of working relationships, for ratification
at another IOP. Which would indicate that IOP-3 should occur quite soon, right?

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG) and
CCSDS Technical Liaison to the IOAG