[CMC] RE: [CESG] Fwd: IOP-2: IOAG recommendations

Jean-Francois.Kaufeler at esa.int Jean-Francois.Kaufeler at esa.int
Tue Nov 25 03:15:52 EST 2008

Erik,
I fully share your view, which is quite an advancement in the perception
of what is a space infrastructure. Yes the platform should be considered
as an infrastructure, thus re-usable for many missions. Only with this
perception in mind could agencies make savings in the design / procurement
of satellites.
Best regards, JFK

"Barkley, Erik J" <erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov>
Sent by: cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
25.11.2008 02:46

"Hooke, Adrian J" <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>, CCSDS Management Council
<cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - ADs
<cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc

Subject
[CMC] RE: [CESG] Fwd: IOP-2: IOAG recommendations

Adrian,

I only have one comment, slide 3 on the bullet that reads:

"Identify solutions and recommend to the IOP specific actions needed to
facilitate cross-support of one agency's spacecraft/system by another
agency's infrastructure;"

>From my perspective, at least in the exploration domain, the only
entities that really are not infrastructure are the PI and the S/C
instruments. I tend to view the spacecraft as infrastructure/a platform
for instrument delivery enabling the PI to conduct tele-science/remote
observations.  This perhaps becomes more readily apparent when considering
a truly networked architecture whereby the spacecraft are plugging into
and simultaneously supporting the infrastructure among groundstations and
other spacecraft.  I suppose for manned missions we can consider the
flight crew,etc  as users of the communication/navigation infrastructure
somewhat analogous to the instruments on a robotic spacecraft (from the
perspective of infrastructure usage).  It may be that I am making a
mountain out of a molehill here -- I can appreciate that there are risks
to making the ToR to narrow  -- but it seems to me that there is still a
bit of struggling with the semantic definitions, conceptual model
boundaries, etc. in working toward a definition of a cross support
architecture that includes in-space routed communications.

Having said all that, a suggestion would be:

"identify solutions and recommend to the IOP specific actions needed to
facilitate cross support between agency spacecraft and agency
infrastructures, recognizing that the spacecraft themselves may part of an
end-to-end interoperable networked communications architecture"

Best Regards,

-Erik