[CMC] CMC vote for SOIS Area Director

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) Mike.Kearney at nasa.gov
Sat Feb 23 09:41:10 EST 2008

CMC members:  For the ongoing poll for SOIS chair/deputy,

http://public.ccsds.org/sites/cwe/cmc/polls/default.aspx

we currently have the following provisional votes:

>From Martin Pilgram: ADOPT PROVISIONALLY - I have not seen any
discussions and proposals for the area director before. Maybe I missed
it. But the decission for an area director should be discussed in the
CMC and the agencies should be asked, if there are other proposals as
the one made in this poll

>From Jean-Francois Kaufeler:  ADOPT PROVISIONALLY - Although it is an
ESA nomination proposal, it is fair to see (as per CCSDS procedure) if
there are other agencies proposals. If this is the case then it should
be discussed at CMC level. Thus we should give a deadline for this.

I am addressing this now, to try to resolve the provisions so that there
can be a rapid closure on this prior to the March Technical Meetings.

I agree with Martin and Jean-Francois, that for a normal process, we
should first make a request for other potential candidates for AD
positions.   However, to support the rapidly closing schedule for the
March meeting, we were trying to get any management changes made in time
for the new people to "ramp up" and contribute to the upcoming meeting
plans.  I believe we can still do both, with the following approach:

1.       We will extend the current poll from 27 February to 1 March
(one week from today)

2.       If any agency wants to propose alternative SOIS Area Directors,
please notify us by responding to this message.  *If* there are
alternative proposals, we will revise the poll accordingly (new names
and date).   However, in that case, it may be difficult to close the
vote before the March meeting.

3.       If there are no additional proposals for SOIS Area Directors,
then we can keep this poll on the March 1 schedule, and successfully
support the March meeting.

So we are accommodating a delay if needed for alternative proposals, but
if there are no alternative proposals, we can still keep the vote and
the March meeting support on the "fast track".

*ANNOUNCEMENT:  If any agency wants to propose alternative SOIS Area
Director Candidates, please reply to this message by 1 March 2008.*

Please note that NASA is not nominating any SOIS Area Directors.  I am
working this issue as the CMC chairman/secretariat, not as the NASA
delegate.

In the Secretariat, we are starting to use a "checklist" approach to
Secretariat tasks.  We will start a checklist on "new area directors"
and we will add to the front of that checklist that when we have one
proposal for an Area director, we will solicit whether there are
additional proposals well advance of the formal poll to approve a new
area director.  But as I said, this "fast track" approach was an effort
to quickly assign the Area Director functions before the March meeting.
In a similar situation, we may use the same approach again, in order for
our meetings to be effective.

Martin and Jean-Francois, if my above explanation satisfies you, can you
please indicate that this approach meets your provisions to "adopt"?

Thanks,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

NASA MSFC EO-01