[CMC] Re: Repository Audit and Certification Working Group

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 22 08:07:56 EDT 2008

At 07:05 AM 4/22/2008, Allan, PM (Peter) wrote:
>..  I believe the question should be - is CCSDS the appropriate forum?

Peter: if I remember correctly, a decade or so ago ISO specifically
asked CCSDS to take on the archiving work because they thought it was
the appropriate forum. My question remains: is that still the case?
Or have other standards organizations evolved to the point where they
could now take back the leadership? Has anybody assessed whether it
might be time to start offloading this work by being a participant in
someone else's standardization activity?

If you look at the monthly website report, you will see that the
"Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS)" is
consistently the number one most popular download - usually by a
factor of about five. Is that because there is tremendous, burning
interest in the space community about interoperability of data
archives, or is it an indication that the interest lies elsewhere?
When we host a meeting, do the attendees from the repositories
community fan-out across the other working groups to infuse their
knowledge, or do they stick together and simply cause our meeting
attendance statistics to inflate? If the latter, could they meet
someplace else in another venue, and thus reduce our (growing) hosting load?

Best regards
Adrian