[CMC] ODM and SC14 forward action

Jean-Francois.Kaufeler at esa.int Jean-Francois.Kaufeler at esa.int
Tue Feb 27 11:19:32 EST 2007

Mike,
Yes, it is what we said and it has my support. I also concur with
Jean-Marc Soula's remark that at the end the document should be accessible
free of charge.
In a super nutshell!: there should be only a single document (everybody
agreed that there were no technical for not doing so), ISO SC14 could have
the last word (and cover page) and because originated from CCSDS it would
be available from the CCSDS Web page.
Best regards, JFK

"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <Mike.Kearney at nasa.gov>
Sent by: cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
26.02.2007 19:45

CCSDS Management Council <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc

Subject
[CMC] ODM and SC14 forward action

Dear CMC members:

With respect to the Navigation WG ODM document, and the issue with the
potentially competing TC20/SC14 standard, we want to confirm that the
actions that we are taking are in line with the opinions and position
expressed at the CMC and SC13 meeting in Colorado Springs.

If you do NOT respond to this note by 05 March 2007, we will assume that
the direction described below is OK.  It is important that Mr. Bergamini
and Mr. Berry can press forward to work the issue of document processing
with ISO and SC14.  They will proceed in this direction, which we agreed
to in Colorado Springs.

As a refresher, here is the paragraph from the draft CCSDS CMC minutes
(not yet approved, but soon to be distributed to you).

“Status of Navigation WG ODM interface with TC20/SC14 – Mr. Nestor Peccia
reported that Mr. Dave Berry will attend the next ISO TC20/SC14 meeting.
There are no technical issues, but control issues need to be resolved
concerning the possible publication of competing ISO standards for space
navigation.  It was suggested that the ODM document could be submitted to
ISO via TC20/SC14.  Other compromises were also discussed.  The CMC
position was that the CCSDS-originated document from the Navigation WG
must be released as an updated CCSDS Blue Book,  that it must be submitted
through the ISO system using the ISO "cover sheet method", and that there
should not be a competing document from TC20/SC14.  The control issue is
less critical, and the CMC would generally agree to a process that gave
SC14 some control over the ISO document numbering and the ISO approval
cycle.  It is expected that the control issue will be worked by the WG
leads and by the SC13 and SC14 chairmen, and it will be resolved at the
next ISO TC20/SC14 meeting in 2007 May.”

In a nutshell, the CCSDS position is that the ODM document must be
published as an updated Blue Book and then forwarded to ISO for
publication as an International Standard using the cover-sheet method, but
it is acceptable to CCSDS if the ISO document number and the ISO review
process are both defined by SC14.

As a result of that position on this issue, Mr. Berry will work with the
SC14 working group, and Mr. Bergamini will work with the ISO General
Secretariat to resolve the control issue to the satisfaction of both
organizations.  Note that the SC14 meeting is coming up soon, so any
issues with this approach must be raised very quickly.

If you concur, no response needed.  Thanks very much,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
Acting CCSDS General Secretariat
NASA MSFC EO-01