[CMC] ODM and SC14 forward action

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 27 11:12:54 EST 2007

At 07:36 AM 2/27/2007, Craig Day wrote:
>The two approaches seem to completely contradict each other. If CCSDS/SC13
>insist that its  document be published as a blue book and then forwarded
>to ISO for publication using the cover-sheet method, then the option of
>SC14 defining a document number and the review process is precluded. The
>SC14 review process (the "standard" ISO process)

The SC13 and SC14 review processes are BOTH the "standard" ISO processes.
Normally, however, when a Blue Book is sent to ISO by CCSDS, it is reviewed
by the SC13 members as an FDIS.

>has been underway for some time and its document is currently being
>prepared to be released as a Committee Draft (before the end of February)
>to SC14 reviewers (as well as CCSDS through the liaison status). The SC13
>cover sheet method would put the CCSDS blue book into review by the SC13
>P-members at the DIS stage, at which technical comments are not supposed
>to be submitted. This would not get the document reviewed by SC14
>stakeholders with adequate opportunity to submit technical comments.

Craig, I'm curious as to why you think that a DIS or FDIS isn't open to
technical comments during its ISO review? What's the point of an ISO
DIS/FDIS review? It would seem quite appropriate for a CCSDS Blue Book to
be issued as an FDIS for concurrent SC13 and SC14 review, with the
understanding that if technical changes need to be made then the Blue Book
will be amended. However, I will in fact propose something else:

>Right now it seems that there are two separate processes going on that, to
>me, don't look to be converging into a single document.

There certainly are two processes going on, but I don't see why they can't
converge. The SC14 members should be invited to review the proposed updated
CCSDS Blue Book while it is still at the Red Book stage. (In the rare
occasions where a CCSDS Red Book has been sent for ISO review, it has
normally been sent out as a DIS, but we could just as easily call it a
Committee Draft if that makes everyone happy.) That way SC14 gets to
technically comment, and if there are any substantive technical changes
then we can go through another Red Book cycle. Then the Blue Book gets sent
out to ISO for approval. I really don't see any problem here.

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)