[CMC] Re: [CESG] Re: [Sois-wir] [SOIS] Proposed way-forward for SOIS

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 15 10:52:51 EST 2007

At 04:58 AM 2/15/2007, Chris.Taylor at esa.int wrote:
>Adrian, just one thing on the green book. It has already been for CESG
>review and updated according to Rids. It should therefore now go out to
>all Agencies as a baseline document.

Chris: I am reluctant to do this. I believe that we currently have two
major activities in CCSDS - SOIS and Cislunar - that potentially have
sweeping future ramifications and yet not all Agencies are "onboard".
[Until recently, SM&C would have been in that category too, though I am
hopeful that by having taken our time to be fully consultative, we are now
moving down a track towards consensus.]

I therefore think that we need to look at SOIS as a whole *package*, not as
individual Books, and that we need to come to a consensus CESG technical
decision as to how to proceed. After the Area Directors get to look at that
whole package, and have the opportunity to seek advice from many quarters,
it may well be that the architecture Green Book will need to be modified.
That's why I'd like to hold to the process indicated below and issue the
Green Book [1] + [2-6] + [8-11] + [15-16] for an integrated CESG review.

By the way, the SOIS Green Book and the Cislunar Green Book are both
"Type-2" in Jean-Luc's terminology, and they both suffer from the same
problem: they have a strong flight system architectural flavor, yet we
really don't have an external flight system community to whom we can go to
confirm that they are acceptable. The IOAG, for instance, really doesn't
contain much flight system representation.

Best regards
Adrian