[CMC] SC14 participants in the CCSDS Navigation Working Group

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 16 15:39:13 EDT 2007

CMC Members: please be aware of the following communication relative to the
cooperative effort between [SC13/CCSDS/Navigation WG] and [SC14/WG3] to
extend the CCSDS Orbit Data Messages specification (via Pink Sheets) to
accommodate the needs of SC14 relative to their work in collision avoidance.

The ISO committees, as you know, contain voting representatives from all of
the ISO member nations - and those representatives are often NOT from the
national space agencies who vote as CCSDS Members. In order for the SC14
national participants in the joint activity to feel comfortable that their
voice will be heard, the CMC needs to be aware that these representatives
are being temporarily integrated into the Navigation Working Group as noted
in this message from the SC14/WG3 chairman, Dr. Dave Finkleman:

>Subject: RE: Agenda and Discussion Topics for Beijing
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:03:41 -0400
>From: "Finkleman, Dave" <dfinkleman at agi.com>
>
>The purpose of this communication is to emphasize the significance of our
>collaboration with SC13 by again soliciting experts to review the
>documents I attached when I distributed the WG3 agenda two weeks ago.
>
>"In order to implement the course of action described in the attachment, I
>wish each delegation to appoint an expert to review and vote on the
>combined document.  The experts should be familiar with on-orbit
>operations and approaches to determining orbits and describing the manner
>in which the orbits were determined.   The goal is to gain consensus among
>SC14 members that are not voting members of CCSDS and to register those
>members with the CCSDS secretariat for the purpose of confirming the
>merged standard.  This is an extremely important step and one that must be
>completed quickly to take advantage of the accelerated ISO implementation
>that CCSDS can achieve.  It would be most advantageous if we could collect
>comments and preliminary votes before our meeting in Beijing."
>
>I depart for China on 8 May 2007, and I would appreciate at least the
>names and affiliations of potential reviewers before then.
>
>Dave Finkleman
>Senior Scientist
>Center for Space Standards and Innovation
>Analytical Graphics, Inc.
>7150 Campus Drive
>Colorado Springs, CO 80920

The distribution list for this message - the membership of Dave's working
group in SC14 - is appended for your information below. We could therefore
expect some subset of these individuals to be temporarily attached to our
Navigation Working Group. This is an important collaboration between CCSDS
and SC14 and it is essential that we should work positively to smooth-out
any problems that may occur as a result of this new joint working mode.

Best regards
Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)