[CMC] Agenda item for the next CMC meeting: CSS AD vacant position ... from early 2007.

Soula Jean-Marc jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr
Wed Jun 28 08:19:03 EDT 2006

Dear all,

As previously discussed with some of you, I would like to bring your attention but also to clarify the fact that Gerard Lapaian, today Area Director of the CSS, will soon go on retirement after many years of involvement and "bons services" (as he asked me to mention) in the CCSDS activities.

Nevertheless, this will only happen in late march 2007 and therefore after the next plenary meeting currently planned in the US west coast, in january 2007.
Gerard is planning to remain involved and active till then as the AD and he will attend this plenary meeting.

My suggestion is that we have his replacement as an agenda item for the next CMC meeting and we then start discussing the nomination of his successor.
The main reasons are first that the subsequent CMC meeting may be (long) after the january plenary meeting and the area cannot remain with no Director for too long and second, that this subject may require face to face discussions and not be compatible with a nomination that would only be organized through an e-poll.
If his successor was appointed in Moscow or some weeks after (if email vote), the last months of this year could serve for a smooth transition to his successor and the final hand-over could be at the january plenary meeting.
Consequently, I kindly invite the delegates to think about the nomination of candidates from their own organizations so that the subject is covered in Moscow. I think the CMC Chair and/or Secretariat will let us know about their decision on this suggestion and their recommendation if the nominations should be announced in advance or at the Moscow CMC meeting.

Best regards

Jean-Marc SOULA
Chargé de Mission Réseaux de Stations
DCT/OP/CM