[CMC] RE: CMC-P-2006-07-001: Authorization to discontinue formal CESG review

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 17 17:14:27 EDT 2006

One of the reviewers asked: "It is not clear what is the problem". I think
that the problem is as follows:

1. Approval of most work items and documents has been via a fairly long,
2-step serial polling process:
    A. A 2-3 week CESG poll
    B. A 2-3 week CMC poll

2. Experience has shown that (for a variety of reasons, the major one of
which is lack of time) it is very difficult to get all Area Directors to
vote in the CESG poll. That creates a problem:  we either interpret all
missing votes as "yes"; or we go back and try to re-poll everyone.
Sometimes this creates a serious log-jam, with a work item stuck in an
endless loop of CESG polling delays until it eventually gets lost.

We discussed this at length in Rome and it was very clear that Area
Directors become overwhelmed by the sheer volume and diversity of work that
they are asked to review in detail. It was the consensus of the CESG that
it would be much more effective if the responsibility for ensuring proper
review was placed on the Area Director who wants to advance the work. With
this concept, an Area Director will only get asked (by another Area
Director) to review work in detail that has a probable impact on his or her
Area, not everything that comes out of every Area. If this occurs, the CESG
review doesn't disappear but it gets pushed back earlier in the cycle and
securing the proper cross-Area review becomes a matter of professional
responsibility instead of bureaucratic rote.

The problem comes when an Area Director does *not* secure the proper level
of review and a work item reaches the CMC that has an undiscovered overlap
with another Area. That's why we proposed a final safety net to catch such
errors via a single joint CESG/CMC poll, with the CESG looking at each item
from a final technical perspective and the CMC from a management
perspective. Theoretically, this would require a double failure - a failure
by the originating Area Director to secure proper cross-Area review, and a
failure by the CESG reviewers to catch an overlap at the last minute - for
a technical conflict to slip through to the CMC.

I personally think that the proposed new system is more effective. One way
to quell some of the CMC's concerns may be to make it mandatory for every
Area Director to cast a vote in the joint CESG/CMC poll, and to hold Area
Directors accountable if they delay the work-flow by not voting. At that
stage, any lack of attention by the Area Directors would become immediately
obvious to the CMC.

Best regards
Adrian Hooke,
Chairman, CESG