[CMC] CCSDS (CMC) - Biographical Info Request

penelope.walz penelope.walz at btas.com
Mon Jan 3 17:10:29 EST 2005

Requested Information due date - Friday, January 28, 2005

Dear Members of the Management Council:

In an ongoing effort to re-build an "About CCSDS" area of the web site that
is both valuable and relevant, and also to gather information for an
upcoming CCSDS Press Kit, I have recommended that we provide brief
biographical information about each CMC member on the new CCSDS.org.  CMC
Bios would appear on a page called "The Management Council," under the
"About CCSDS" section of the site, similar to the way in which private
sector companies routinely provide bios of their corporate leadership
online.  The same information would also appear in hard copy form in the
CCSDS Press Kit.

Regarding outreach, providing a relevant and informative "About CCSDS" area
on the site will prepare CCSDS for increased public awareness and also serve
to bolster the image of the entire organization.  Regarding "inreach,"
allowing current CCSDS participants to know more about members of the CMC
will help build the sense that each participant and every working group is
part of a larger endeavor and is supported in their work.  In the future,
working group participants will be encouraged to leverage their association
with the founding member agencies of the CCSDS in marketing efforts to
attract new participants and industry members to the organization.  As CCSDS
becomes better known, current and potential participants will see greater
benefit in identifying themselves as part of this high-profile program.

To give you an idea of the sort of information we are hoping to gather, I am
providing you with the following two corporate examples:

Example 1

>From Alcatel Executive Bios:  http://www.alcatel.com/vpr/bio/  :

Philippe Germond, President & Chief Operating Officer of Alcatel, and member
of the Executive Committee

Philippe Germond was formerly Deputy Chief Operating Officer of Vivendi
Universal, Chairman and CEO of Groupe Cegetel SFR, Vivendi Universal Net,
Vivendi Telecom International, and member of the Executive Committee of
Vivendi Universal. He joined SFR in 1995 as CEO for SFR. From 1980 to 1995,
he held various positions within Hewlett Packard in the USA, France and
Europe.

Philippe Germond is a graduate of the Ecole Centrale de Paris, and he holds
a Master of Science in Management from the Stanford University.

Example 2

>From Deutsche Telecom Board of Management:
http://www.telekom3.de/en-p/comp/5-bo/home/041001-board-of-management-ar..ht
ml  :

Kai-Uwe Ricke, Chairman of the Board of Deutsche Telekom AG (Chief Executive
Officer)

Kai-Uwe Ricke, born October 1961 in Krefeld, was appointed chairman of the
Board of Management of Deutsche Telekom AG effective from November 15, 2002.

Following an apprenticeship at a bank and studies at the European Business
School in Schloss Reichartshausen, Germany, Ricke started his career as
assistant to the Board of Bertelsmann in Guetersloh, Germany. He then took
up the position as head of Sales and Marketing of its Swedish subsidiary
Scandinavian Club. From 1990 to June 1995, Ricke was CEO of Talkline and
Talkline PS Phone Service in Elmshorn, Germany. From July 1995 he acted as
the company's chairman and CEO.

In January 1998, Ricke took over as chairman of the Board of Management of
DeTeMobil Deutsche Telekom Mobilnet (today T-Mobile Deutschland). Under his
leadership, the company again concentrated on its core business, the T-D1
network, and recaptured the market leadership in Germany. In February 2000,
Ricke was appointed chairman of the newly founded T-Mobile International
where Deutsche Telekom consolidated its principal mobile communications
activities. In May 2001, he was appointed to the Board of Management of
Deutsche Telekom. As Chief Operating Officer, he was responsible for
Deutsche Telekom's mobile and online businesses. On November 15, 2002,
Kai-Uwe Ricke was appointed chairman of the Board of Management of Deutsche
Telekom AG. Ricke has been the interim CEO of T-Com (international affairs)
since May 1, 2004.

Please forward me any relevant biographical information you may want to
include in your bio by Friday, January 28, 2005.  You may send it in any
form (e.g., curriculum vitae, simple list, previous organizational bio),
since it will be reformatted for online use.  I will send the reformatted
version back to you for your approval prior to online publication.  Again,
providing online information regarding the individuals who manage CCSDS will
become a valuable tool for increasing both the external and internal
presence of the organization.

Should you have any questions regarding the above, please feel free to
contact me at your earliest convenience.  Thank you for your time and in
advance for your participation in this effort.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Kindest regards,

Penelope

Penelope Wrenn Walz

The Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS)

CCSDS Secretariat Support - Public Affairs

6301 Ivy Lane, Ste 720

Greenbelt, MD 20770 USA

Tel -      + 1 301 474 5424

Fax -     + 1 301 474 5427