[CMC] CMC: flow of events for Athens meeting?

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 1 13:01:45 EST 2005

At 11:44 PM 1/31/2005, Soula Jean-Marc wrote:
>Nevertheless, I've a question on the drawbacks of holding the CESG and CMC
>meetings  before or in parallel to the CCSDS Working Group meetings.
>Obviously the CESG report cannot bring the most recent messages from the
>groups and areas if we place things in that order. Maybe you have
>workaround solutions in mind ; could you please clarify ?

Jean-Marc: to address this question, I think that we first need to separate
the issue of CESG reporting from the needs of the CMC to meet in an
effective manner to manage the organization.

The normal mode of working of CCSDS is that the CESG will flow work items
to the CMC 365-days/year, using electronic communications and voting media.
It's actually an anomaly that twice per year we suddenly bunch all of the
decision-making together into a hastily-prepared face-to-face report, and
expect the CMC to react in real time to a large volume of complex
recommendations, communicated in presentation format. We've also seen
several instances where those real-time "paper" recommendations do not get
properly formulated, or get lost.

I therefore think that we should look on this Athens meeting as a welcome
opportunity to break the cycle and to try another formula, so that the CMC
can spend its face-to-face meetings working primarily on strategic
management issues. So here's the sequence that I propose for the Athens
meeting:

1. 06-07 APRIL (all day): The CESG will meet to prepare a summary report of
the current status of the Areas/WGs/BOFs, and to identify issues requiring
management attention.

2. 08 APRIL (afternoon): the CESG report will be given to the CMC's opening
session.

3. 11 APRIL (early morning): in a very condensed form, the CESG report will
provide introductory material for a brief "CCSDS opening plenary" (to which
all of CCSDS delegates will be invited) that will kick-off the technical
Area and WG meetings.

3. 11 APRIL (afternoon): the CESG report material will be used by the Area
Directors as a basis for their presentations to the joint OMG/CCSDS "Space
Day" plenary session.

4. 12-13 APRIL: the CMC will re-convene and will meet in parallel with the
CCSDS technical meetings; this has the advantage that Area Directors can be
called in as necessary to report on special issues, and the CMC can meet
with their OMG management counterparts as needed.

5. 15 APRIL (evening): at a brief closing CESG meeting I will task the Area
Directors to update their reports to summarize current status. This updated
CESG report, along with appropriately formulated and voted CESG
Resolutions, will be transmitted electronically to the CMC within 30-days
of the end of the meeting

Given the particular circumstances of the Athens meeting, I think that this
will work well. It's certainly worth an experiment, and if it is successful
then we may think about repeating it at the September meeting in Atlanta.

I'd therefore like to propose that we quickly agree on this revised
schedule for Athens, and announce it to everyone as soon as possible.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Interplanetary Network Directorate
M/S 303-402, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099, USA