[CESG] [EXTERNAL] [Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 12 May 2022

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 2 01:09:22 UTC 2022

Dear Mario,

With regard to your two PIDs/Poll Conditions re CESG-P-2022-04-001 Approval to release CCSDS 901.3-R-1, Functional Resource Model (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review (please see copied email below):

PID 1 re scope:  Reading the text copied in the PID  (in turn copied from the book for agency review) it states "... functionality needed to provide space
    communication and tracking services,..." and "... it applies to a cross support interface..."  I believe this is then already sufficiently scoped.

The PID asks for clarification: "It should be clarified in the text that the FRs shall be limited to hw/sw that is immediately and directly related to communication and shall not be used for abstract representation of other devices onboard or on the ground, e.g. a Camera or a Gyro...."  I fail to see how the scope already indicating applicability to "communication and tracking services" and  that "it applies to a cross support interface…" requires clarification.

PID 2:  I believe the PID as stated indicates a misunderstanding of what the FRM is and is not.  This PID states, in part, "…when it goes on-board even for the RF elements, the aspects of TM/TC and operations in general should be handled through MO M&C services rather than using FRM for monitored parameters, notifiable events, or any configuration of those devices."    The FRM does not in fact "handle" anything.  It does not state protocol, nor does it state service level behavior.  Rather, in essence, the FRM is an engineering facility -- ie., it is a tool to facilitate normative definition and thereby facilitate sound engineering reasoning.   As an engineering facility, the FRM could, for example, at the discretion of the MOIMS Area be utilized to provide normative definition for standardized parameters of the MO Parameter Service, but any such definitions would be as developed by the MOIMS Area, and not by the FRM.

With regard to both PID 1 and PID 2 I will note that the current exploration as to the potential applicability of the FRM to Areas other than CSS was requested by the CESG Chair at the 2019 Fall meetings in Darmstadt, with the request being for the SOIS, SIS, and CSS Areas to look into MIBs vs FRM, etc.  I believe the Areas involved and the CESG in general have diligently worked on carrying out this action. I do not believe it to be the prerogative of any one area to essentially close off any exploration of applicability for a potentially useful tool for other areas.  As the CSS AD I cannot in good consciousness, add text that, from my perspective, essentially says to CESG "you are not allowed to utilize the FRM in the MOIMS MO domain".   I think any such decision in that regard would in fact require CESG consensus, especially so given that there are other areas of CCSDS with onboard spacecraft concerns (ie., SOIS, SIS).

I have been in contact with the CSTS WG Chair on this matter and we agree that the FRM reflects current ESLT scoping properly.

Best regards,
-Erik