[CESG] [EXTERNAL] RE: CESG Special topic: 2022-7 CESG MAL RID Disposition, was Re: MAL PIDs spreadsheet

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 19 21:18:53 UTC 2022

Dear Mario,

I am continually surprised by what appears to be a disconnect between how CCSDS is defined to operate, as is documented in our Org & Proc document, CCSDS A02.1-Y-4, and the Publications document, CCSDS A20.1-Y-4, and some of the statements you make.   These rules are not optional requirements that can be dismissed with a wave of the hand.  Unlike some YB, such as a test report, these Yellow Books are mandatory on CCSDS, they guide how we are supposed to work and explain the different kinds of documents, their characteristics, and the processes we follow.

All of those “faults” that you listed (correctly) and then dismissed with a wave of the hand (incorrectly) are some of the key requirements that CCSDS documents are meant to adhere to.   The others have to do with structure, content, and presentation.  The CESG review of all documents is a key process defined in the Org & Proc YB, as are the criteria that are to be met by different document types.  It is an explicit CESG responsibility to perform these reviews and to verify functionality, quality, consistency, clarity, completeness, and architectural alignment across all the different areas and standards.  I take those responsibilities seriously as do many other CESG members.

Suggesting that any or all of this would be assessed in an Agency Review is to totally miss the point.  An Agency review is intended for the member and observer agencies to have an opportunity to see that their needs are met.  They have no responsibility to see that these other CCSDS criteria are met, that is not their job.  They may occasionally catch one of these issues, but that is incidental to their purpose.

However, our responsibility as CESG members is to step out of our agency roles and to step into CESG roles.  As a CESG member for many years you should understand this.  You may take my analysis and feedback as “over-reaction”.  I take your dismissal of the assigned CESG roles as a failure to really appreciate and value the tasks we have been given and what we are meant to do.

More <<in-line>>, below.

Regards, Peter