[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Re: SFCG-40 outputs concerning lunar and martian wireless frequencies

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 3 18:01:27 UTC 2022

Dear SOIS – Wir and associated participants in this seemingly endless discussion,

First of all, a Happy New Year to all of you.  I do sincerely hope that your celebrations were safe and that the new year gives us all good health and worthy progress.

Since is are clearly more than one misunderstanding of what “consensus” means in CCSDS, and how it is intended to operate, I am offering some clarifications.  Consensus in CCSDS is defined in Annex G, and in sec 5.1.2, of the CCSDS Org & Proc doc, A02x1y4c.  It is defined thusly:
Annex G
The entire CCSDS technical organization is run by a process of consensus, and it is the CESG that decides if the standardization process has come up with a result that reflects a real consensus. Consensus does not necessarily mean that unanimous agreement has been reached, but that the result incorporates the best set of compromises that all parties can agree to. The principle of consensus applies to the decisions made at the CMC, CESG, and WG levels.
Coming to consensus is a matter of understanding, considering, eliminating disagreements, and arriving at the best set of compromises. Consensus is achieved when all significant issues are addressed, but not necessarily accommodated.
Sec 5.1.2
The decisions of all CCSDS organizational units shall be reached through consensus. In this context, consensus does not necessarily mean that unanimous agreement has been reached, but that the result incorporates the best set of compromises to which all parties can agree.
An individual is responsible for expressing concerns; the group is responsible for resolving them. The group decides whether a concern is legitimate; the individual decides whether to concur with the group, block, or stand aside. All significant issues and their disposition must be documented and accepted by the group.
Consensus building starts at the WG level and it continues through Area, CESG, and CMC level.  This is clearly stated in that doc.  There is more elaboration on this in the document, in Sec 5.1.2, and in the annex.  An individual is not permitted to thwart forward progress.  An individual who has an opinion that differs from the rest (of the WG, or CESG, or CMC) is given the opportunity to convince everyone else of their opinion.  If the dissenter cannot convince the rest of the group (whichever group) then they have a choice: they can agree with the group, they can stand aside, or they can continue to contest it.  If they do contest it then consensus is blocked at that level and the issue is escalated to the next higher level.  In the case of a WG this would involve the CESG.

It is not stated clearly in the Org & Proc doc, but once an issue has been escalated to a higher level in the organization it is no longer subject to further discussion and consensus in the lower levels of the organization, it is out of their hands.

This is now a CESG issue and it is up to the CESG to resolve it.  There is no such concept as a CESG decision that resolves and issue “breaking consensus at the WG level”.

If the WG has failed to reach consensus the decision is escalated to the CESG and it is up to the CESG to resolve it.   In a similar fashion, if the CESG fails to reach consensus the issue may be escalated to the CMC.  This has, and does, occur, but not often.

Best regards, Peter