[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Re: CESG-P-2020-12-006 Approval to publish CCSDS 922.3-B-1, Cross Support Transfer Service—Forward Frame Service ( Blue Book, Issue 1)

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Mar 16 08:03:18 UTC 2021

Peter,
        just to be clear I never asked to revert from layer to stratus.
I simply remark that the straight replacement (e.g. a la WinWord) stratus
--> layer does create new issues as e.g. the identification on an Aperture
Layer.
Actually I found that the document could live taking away strata and just
deleting those parts that indeed refer mostly to functions (that is most
likely the best seller term in that document) are likely to solve the
issue. This is what I proposed in my comments to John.

Defining sub layers can be an artifact that may look as a solution but as
well can create new confusion if "invented" in a document without a real
relationship with other documents.
If the envisaged solution is to define an Aperture sub layer and a
Modulation sub layer within the Physical Layer, I do recommend consulting
the RFM WG on this.

That's all for my European evening

Best regards & stay healthy

Gippo