[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Requesting SSG "consensus": QSCID Question

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Tue Jun 15 12:07:05 UTC 2021

> Le 15 juin 2021 à 07:56, Shames, Peter M (US 312B) <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov> a écrit :
>
> Hi Gippo,
>
> I do understand what you are proposing,  but the situation has gotten a lot more complicated than I think you may be aware.  Some agencies, from the  beginning, chose to  have their SCID assignments hidden, so what is  really an allocated number appears empty.  Other agencies are choosing to do that now, or to not even register their SCIDs even though they are using CCSDS protocols.

Moreover, one has to look carefully at frequency bands.

> As a result of this, instead of being able to use a straightforward algorithm to search for and assign SCIDs the SANA staff have to waste their time going on “Easter Egg Hunts”.  This is really inefficient and I fail to understand why it is even of value.

yeap. Given the scarce space available, most specific requests like these have to be declined. We have spent a lot of efforts to automate our process to minimize as much as possible any errors in allocations. This manual « I want my SCID » route just bypass this process and therefore is more error prone on our side.

> Perhaps I am not understanding something, but what is the value in picking a specific SCID?  Do agencies really have hardware and software that is “wired” to one SCID number that cannot be changed?

yes, it would be very useful to understand the need for specific IDs. It can’t be « this is a nice number ».  Again given the scarce space available, the reason has to be pretty important.

Marc.