[CESG] Requesting SSG "consensus": QSCID Question (small correction)

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Jun 15 10:07:06 UTC 2021

Actually I meant:
This could be a way to still be friendly to requester but avoiding a
"interpretable" task to SANA.

Sorry

Gippo

From:   Gian Paolo Calzolari/esoc/ESA
To:     "Shames, Peter M\(US 312B\)" <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc:     "CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG Exec"
<cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>, "Marc Blanchet" <marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca>,
"SANA Steering Group (SSG)" <ssg at mailman.ccsds.org>
Date:   15-06-21 11:03
Subject:        Re: [CESG] Requesting SSG "consensus": QSCID Question

Peter,
        I concur with Marc analysis and with your considerations but I
wonder whether a softer approach could be used.
I mean that - since the SCID values are all public at
https://sanaregistry.org/r/spacecraftid/ - an Agency has all the means to
check if a value is free or assigned.  (Some remarks below)
Therefore, one chance could be leaving the “pick your own number” option
but requiring that the research for availability be performed and included
in the request by the requester,

This could be a way to still be friendly to requester but avoiding a
"interpretable" task to NASA.

Last, but not least I think CMC shall be polled on this question as the
task is mainly on Agency Delegates or persons acting on behalf of their
Agency Delegate.

My cent,,,

Gippo

PS with respect to the specific request I first looked for decimal 68 =
Hex 44 and I find it assigned to NILESAT-2 for both TM and TC. Then I also
saw that 116 = Hex 74 is assigned to MSL98-Flight and 229 = E5 Hex is
assigned to STELLATsim.
This is just to say that the requester would have been able to know that
his request  “pick your own number”  was a mission impossible.
In case those values were free, he could have stated this in his analysis
justifying the ticked “pick your own number” option.