[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Re: OID repository: Updated

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 21 22:10:41 UTC 2020

Peter,

For what it is worth, the “see child OIDs” link on the oid-info.com when putting in the top-level CCSDS OID is really all that is required. I don’t think even the top-level decomposition would be the best idea for oid-info.com to track unless you have some sort of auto-synch mechanism set up from SANA to oid-info.com.  And of course that mechanism would have to be agreed to between various parties and tested.   I think it’s better off to keep all CCSDS child OIDs as CCSDS affair only and not get into publishing potentially conflicting/erroneous information.

Assigning an OID to a spacecraft to function as something like a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) seems like a good idea to me and already appears to be in SANA.

A note re SANA – putting in a “random” OID to look at its search capability, I tried 1.3.112.4.7.21 and got SOHO. No problem there – but the information in the record includes a rather odd field name in this: “Expected Launch Date” – I think it’s safe to say that given that SOHO has been flying since it’s launch in December 1995 that it’s launch date is no longer expected.  Unless SANA is tracking what expectations where when the OID was created, assuming launch had yet to occur? Which probably does not have that much value?  Perhaps this could just be called “Launch Date” ?    This brings me to a general question as to if there is a registry that registers the metadata and provides the semantics for the various field names/parameters? In this case it might be good to know that this is the date entered at time of record creation and that it’s update depends solely on the record creator updating it (assuming that is the case).  I am not necessarily expecting any “fix” for these kind of lower-level details, but to the extent we might have more automated processes in the future  it might be good to start thinking about making the semantics available for reference.

Best regards,
-Erik