[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Reply to proposed dispositions to SLS PIDs: CESG-P-2020-02-003_PIDs_313x2y11.SLSv1.0-SSG responses+gpc.docx

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 25 20:17:38 UTC 2020

Dear Gippo, Mario, and Erik,

My thanks to each of you for taking the time to review these three documents:

  *   CCSDS 313.0-Y-2.1, the revised SANA Role, Responsibilities, Policies, & Procedures
  *   CCSDS 313.1-Y-1.1, the revised SANA Registry Management Policy
  *   CCSDS 313.2-Y-1.1, the revised Procedures for SANA Registry Specification

I have reviewed all three sets of your comments and I am pleased to see that many of the proposed PID resolutions were accepted by all three of you.  That, in itself, will reduce the amount of "heavy lifting" that must be done to get to closure.  That said, there are still a number of items that will require some negotiation in order to reach closure.  After analysis I would say that these are of three kinds:

  1.  Topics where there are still differences of opinion about wording.  These are relatively easy to deal with.
  2.  Topics where there is a stated preference to retain the simpler, more laissez faire, approach to the WG, AD, and CESG registry review and approval process.
  3.  Topics where there has been an express desire stated for a CESG consensus discussion.

We could probably reach closure on type 1 topics by email discussion.  We might be able to reach closure on type 2 topics by email or a one on one (or even three on one) WebEx.  But type 3 topics clearly need an actual CESG WebEx and an item by item discussion.

Accordingly, I will do the work to create a single spreadsheet with only all of the remaining open items.  And I would like to request that we schedule a special WebEx session of the CESG to work through these items and reach closure.  I do not think that there is any other path forward that will work.

Do you all agree?

Thanks, Peter