[CESG] [EXTERNAL] Why not showing SANA Steering Group on CCSDS Web Pages?

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 12 17:26:34 UTC 2020

Hi Gippo,

You are correct that the SANA is shown on our web pages, but the SSG is not.  I think the reason for that is that we wanted to give the SANA and the registries prominence for the users of the site.  The SSG is a steering group, much like the CESG is a steering group.  The CESG is visible on the two org / structure charts that we have, but the focus in both is on the WG structure which is where the bulk of the work is done, as we all know.  The role of the CESG, and of the SSG, is technical oversight.  We are intended to make sure that the right sausage is being made and that the sausage is made correctly and without flaws or contaminants.

The SSG and its role is introduced in the current CCSDS A02x1y4c2, in Sec 2.3.1.4.7, on pg 2-8.  This original text dates back to April 2004 when CCSDS was re-organized:

The SSG will provide oversight of SANA operations, validate and confirm SANA operations, and be the first level of appeal for issues. The SSG can be reached at ssg at sanaregistry.org.
The SSG is further touched upon in the current SANA Role, Responsibilities document, CCSDS 313x0y1, in Sec 3.7, on pg 3-3.  This original text dates back to July 2011:

A SANA Steering Group (SSG) is appointed by the CMC to provide to the SANA operator technical and programmatic guidance related to ongoing operational and policy matters. The SSG is delegated responsibility for oversight of SANA operations, validation and confirmation of SANA operations, and acting as the first level of appeal for issues.
A more complete description of the SSG was documented in the Registry Management Policy, CCSDS 313x1y1, in Sec 4.2.2 SANA Steering Group, on pg 4-1.  This original text, which references and extends the 313x0y1 text quoted above, dates from May 2016:

The membership of the SANA Steering Group is determined and approved by the CMC.
…

The membership of the SANA Steering Group consists of individuals with the following responsibilities:

·         –  SEA AD, chair;

·         –  SANA Operator (ex officio);

·         –  Secretariat (ex officio);

·         –  CMC member;

·         –  MOIMS area member;

·         –  CSS area member;

·         –  SOIS area member;

·         –  SLS area member;

·         –  SIS area member.

Members should also be chosen to ensure agency balance.
I think it is pretty clear that the SSG reports to the CMC, as does the SANA itself.  We could choose to reflect that role and relationship on the web site in a couple of different ways graphically.  I have attached draft "revised" versions of two different CCSDS website pages as suggestions.  I do not have any strong feelings about how we represent the SSG nor even whether we do it.  What is most important from my point of view is that the CCSDS Areas, and their WG Chairs, become aware of what we are creating as a set of inter-related registries and their roles in keeping this as useful and coherent as possible.  If updating the CCSDS website pages serves that end I am all for it.

On a related note, I will point out that during the typical SSG meetings we have had SANA Operator, Secretariat, CMC, SEA, and SLS participation.  We occasionally have had CSS present. The agencies typically represented include: NASA, CNES, and DLR.   I do not think that the other areas typically participate at all.  That is their choice, of course, but it means that they are choosing not to exercise a role that they have been given in steering the SANA.

I suggest that discussing this should be a topic for the next CESG telecon.

Best regards, Peter