[CESG] [EXTERNAL] 131.3 unresolved Poll: SLS position paper

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Wed Apr 15 12:25:35 UTC 2020

Dear Peter,
I take note of the NASA Position Paper that you delivered with your e-mail
on 3rd April.

I remark that the right forum for an Agency's position paper is within the
affected  WG(s) and Area. Only after the relevant technical discussion in
those forums has taken place , the CESG may/will intervene, if needed.
The CESG is , in fact,  supposed to sort out technical  issues that may
arise between Areas ( or between WGs).  It is not supposed to decide upon
a roadmap for technical documentation, when that  roadmap – which entails
the way forward, the concept papers(s), the new projects, etc. - needs to
be  produced as the result of an Agency's position paper.
It is only within the WGs that all (interested) Agencies are represented
and can fairly support the discussion.

I notice that the NASA's Position Paper implies a re-assessment of the
approach for  the (set of ) coding-related document(s), whilst the
existing approach did get WG’s consensus in previous CCSDS sessions,
notably Berlin and Mountain View, if I remember well.
Accordingly, I request that whichever re-assessment is supposed to be done
now , it shall be done first in the appropriate forum (=WG/Area).
Again, the CESG will then discuss the outcome of the WGs’ re-assessment,
if needed.

Concerning the unresolved Poll for the DBV-S2 standard, which has been
produced according to the existing roadmap, I do not see another option
than escalating the decision to the CMC, given that at this point in time
this is no longer a technical discussion, and that there is no consensus
within the CESG

Kind regards.
Margherita
Margherita di Giulio